Help with some colors, please!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
Been a long time, and I finally have the time to jump into colors and genetics. I get pretty dang confused, and I just want to make sure I'm getting my colors right.

MawMaw: I think she's a broken chestnut agouti. Do not know parentage. Throws brokens, cream/orange(?), black, gold tipped steel(?), REW, tri
MawMaw001.jpg

Dolly Levi: Out of MawMaw (above) and REW Satin Buck. Throws black, blue pointed cali, chestnut, gold/silver tipped steel. She has weird shading like Earz does. I also believe I've seen some white on her in the past.
Dolly.jpg

Earz McGee: Out of Precious (same color with light brindling she throws the same colors but some will have grey eyes, others plain brown or mousy brown) and orange buck w/light brindling. Throws rex fur, satin fur, harli, magpie, ermine, torts (have shaded points on tips of ears, nose, tail/base of tail). The weird shading on her body is always there and doesn't go away when she molts (her mom has it too), and it's also present on her nose.
Earz002.jpg

Nexus (sister to Earz): Out of Precious (see Earz) and standard Cali buck. Don't know what she throws, we haven't gotten that far. This picture was taken with flash. She also has that 'mottled' appearance, but I don't know if it will molt out, or not.
Nexus001.jpg

Nexus again w/no flash
Nexus002.jpg

What I see :)

Maw Maw - broken gold tipped steel = Aa B_ Cc D_ Ese (Not Esej or else Dolly Levi would be a harlequin marked chestnut)

Dolly Levi - chestnut = A_ B_ Cc D_ Ee (her "blue pointed whites" are likely just agouti based himilayan)

Earz McGee - fawn = A_ B_ Cchd (or Cchl) D_ ee

Nexus - black = aa B_ Cchd (or Cchl or Cch or Cc) D_ Ee

- or dark steel = A_ B_ Cchd (or Cchl or Cch or Cc) D_ Ee

- or self chinchilla = A_ B_ chd_ D_ Ee

Thank you!!!!! Okay, that lines up with what I've been thinking now that I'm getting into my research a little bit.

Couple questions/comments:
1. What would a harlequin marked chestnut look like? Sounds interesting! I've noticed on this latest molt from Dolly that she has some weird mottling/marbling on her feet that actually reminded me of the . I'll have to see if I can get a pic. It's pretty overcast today, though.
2. The blue pointed whites (couldn't think what else to call them) only happen when she's crossed with my Cali buck. I thought they just weren't getting cold enough to be very dark, like the buck, but they all kept the lightish-grey points as they've molted.
3. On Nexus, the foundation dam for this line was Kitty a black magpie who was supposedly Standard Chin x Cali, so I don't know if that changes anything. Is there any way to tell which of the three options she might be, or does that need to wait until she starts throwing kits? At first I thought she was black, but the flash picture looks like there may be some ticking. The bucks in her litter were all solid black and so were the other does.

This is Precious. She is the dam to Earz. She also has brindling, but really only on the side not facing the camera. Would she be fawn as well?
Precious001.jpg

The doe below is Kitty, dam to Precious (pictured just above in this reply post), grand-dam to Earz, great-grand-dam to Nexus. I believe she also had tan in the 'elbow' of one back leg and you can kinda see it in the pic.
Kitty.JPG

The doe in this pic (I know, horrid pic, but it's all I have of her) was a littermate to Kitty. She looked like a magpie, but had tan on her legs like stockings, and a splotch or two on her face. Beautiful rabbit, died before I could breed her. :( She reminded me of a calico cat with brindle markings.
Little Doe.JPG <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:19 pm __________ <br /><br /> Okay... got some pics and all with natural lighting. The first three are of Dolly's feet/leg. She's like this on both back feet/legs and sorta is like this on the front.
dolly leg 2.jpg
Dolly Leg.jpg
Dolly leg 3.jpg

This last pic is a buck kit out of her last litter. In person he's more black with the ticking. I also had some does in that litter that were black with silver ticking.
Buck out of Dollys litter.jpg

I got Nexus out into the sun, and aside from a VERY slight dar chocolate tint to the fur when the sun was shining on it just right, and some random white hairs, she was solid black.

1. What would a harlequin marked chestnut look like? Sounds interesting! I've noticed on this latest molt from Dolly that she has some weird mottling/marbling on her feet that actually reminded me of the . I'll have to see if I can get a pic. It's pretty overcast today, though.
A chestnut with darker brindling

2. The blue pointed whites (couldn't think what else to call them) only happen when she's crossed with my Cali buck. I thought they just weren't getting cold enough to be very dark, like the buck, but they all kept the lightish-grey points as they've molted.
It just means the other bucks she's bred to don't carry Himilayan or REW

3. On Nexus, the foundation dam for this line was Kitty a black magpie who was supposedly Standard Chin x Cali, so I don't know if that changes anything. Is there any way to tell which of the three options she might be, or does that need to wait until she starts throwing kits? At first I thought she was black, but the flash picture looks like there may be some ticking. The bucks in her litter were all solid black and so were the other does.
You'll only know if bred to a REW buck

If precious has brindling then she is a minimally marked harlequin and not a fawn

Both Precious and Earz have brindling, so both would go down as lightly marked harlequin then? Do harlis have different colors like magpies? Also, I've heard that one could theoretically have a broken magpie, could the same thing exist in harlequins? How would you know?

Sorry for all the questions!

I don't see any brindling on either doe in these pictures - harlequin brindling is BLACK ribbons of fur on an otherwise orange rabbit. It is not two tones of the same colour like dark orange and light orange or cream

Harlequins, and magpies can be black based, blue based, chocolate based and lilac based just like ALL other rabbit colours.

Broken harlequins are called Tri-colours and they are white, orange and black

Kitty is a poorly marked Harlequin. I'd be calling her a black magpie with some odd colouring through in.

All her youngsters will carry it and it will pop up randomly in litter.

I have ZERO meat rabbits showing harlequin markings at this time (and all carry it in their backgrounds) and i get some odd shading things happening with kits yet. Even bred to a solid red buck I had a sable point throw me a cream coloured kit with faint harlequin marks. it was a go figure moment as he has zero harlequin in him at all.

Harlequin in my experience is an ODD colour to work with. If breeding pure harlequin BREED rabbits, it's a fascinating and frustrating process. But a well done harle is a beautiful rabbit. :)

The odd foot markings at this point I would just ignore. if you don't want it, don't breed any rabbits carrying it. Always breed toward what you are wanting to produce long-term.

Dood":2zaitlta said:
I don't see any brindling on either doe in these pictures - harlequin brindling is BLACK ribbons of fur on an otherwise orange rabbit. It is not two tones of the same colour like dark orange and light orange or cream

Harlequins, and magpies can be black based, blue based, chocolate based and lilac based just like ALL other rabbit colours.

Broken harlequins are called Tri-colours and they are white, orange and black

I assure you, it's there, just very sparse! Precious only has one, maybe two markings, and both are on her right side; the larges is on her rump. Earz has the brindling on her face, and one strip on her rump. *shrugs* Her litter, though, her litter with my black magpie has produced some adorable kits.

Earz's Litter - so far I have magpies, harlis, an ermine, and some kits that just have weird wonky shading along with some brindling.
babies.jpg

Earz's Markings 1st as baby, 2nd as an adult.
Earz001.jpg
Earz003.jpg

Precious - only marking is on her rump, and I believe one on her foot that's hard to get an image of.
Precious00000.jpg
Precious000.jpg

Latest posts

Back