Help with newborns no goat milk no store

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
I'm sure this info is here somewhere but I am in a bit of a rush, I just brought in two day old babies who probably have not been fed at all. The mother is extremely mean and I was leaving her alone thinking that she might do a better job if she wasn't disturbed. I have milk and fresh eggs. I'm not going to the store the weather is 24° and sleeting and I live in the middle of nowhere. So I have oil, whole milk, fresh eggs, probably just about anything else that's normal staple let me know if you got any suggestions please thank you so much

I always keep KMR (kitten milk replacement) on hand for situations like this where you are trapped at home. Powdered goat milk is also handy. Both last a lot longer than keeping fresh goat milk on hand. Of course, this doesn't help you now. But next time you're out at the store, I'd suggest picking some up just in case you find yourself in this pickle again.

Do you have powdered milk? @hotzcatz has a recipe on their website that may work for you:
2 cups of 2% milk
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp. corn syrup/molasses
1 tsp. bone meal (optional)

And this post may help you through the process. I wish you luck!

That is pretty much what I mixed up except for the bone meal and the powdered milk. I tried feeding a couple of them, I'm going to keep them warm and put them back with him tonight and see what happens. Nature will take its course in one direction or the other. ... Hopefully she will feed them.

I always keep KMR (kitten milk replacement) on hand for situations like this where you are trapped at home. Powdered goat milk is also handy. Both last a lot longer than keeping fresh goat milk on hand. Of course, this doesn't help you now. But next time you're out at the store, I'd suggest picking some up just in case you find yourself in this pickle again.

Do you have powdered milk? @hotzcatz has a recipe on their website that may work for you:
2 cups of 2% milk
2 egg yolks
2 Tbsp powdered milk
2 Tbsp. corn syrup/molasses
1 tsp. bone meal (optional)

And this post may help you through the process. I wish you luck!
Thank you very much for this! And yes I fully intend to pick up some kmr when I go out again. It's freezing rain in the twenties here.

Thank you again I really appreciate this!

I hope it works for you! If the doe is not too grumpy, you can try holding her in a box with one hand and a kit underneath her at a teat in the other hand. I've also had luck putting the doe in a small carrier that prevents her from really moving away from the kits. I don't like stressing her, so if she makes a big fuss then I take her out immediately and try holding her in a box instead later. Otherwise, I only keep her in the carrier for no more than 10 minutes at as time. It requires patience, but I have more success feeding from the doe than from a syringe.

Back