help with flemish please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trucker460m

Reaction score
i got alot of rabbits but i got 3 flemish about 6 mounths ago and ffed them the same feed as my other rabbits plus hay but they r not really grouwing well they r all around 6 mounths old and out 5 to 7lbs they r all from didfert parents and i now the man i got them from good man been raising rabbits 15 years any ideals or help please thank u

Flemish do grow slower but I would think they'd be better than half grown by 6months considering 8months is often the suggested breeding date. Is your hay grass only and what protein percent are your pellets?

All of them? That is odd! Are you feeding them grass hay? If so, maybe give them some Alfalfa, too. How many fresh vegetables are they getting?

they r getting good hay not grass i feed then high proten its 17 or 18% no veg just pellets and hay. they have big cages as well each one is alone in a cage that is 3ft by 3ft and 4 ft tall. i had them checked for worms and anything the vet could think of and he fond nothing

Growing Flemish need to be free fed, don't measure out the normal large tuna can amount of feed, just keep filling their feeder. They do grow slow, and there is a big difference in the weights, particularly in certain colors. I can tell you that a 6 month old light gray can weigh from 6 to 10 lbs, or larger, really depends. Light Grays tend to mature smaller, most of mine were 14-16lbs, occasional 17-18lber thrown in. Also minimum Sr weight for bucks is 13lbs, 14 for does, lighter than you may think. Flemish grow frame first, muscle later, so they look big but can weigh less than their appearance leads on. Could have been from big litters too, that could have set them back, kits from larger litters are smaller than kits from smaller ones, and take longer to get up to weight. The 7lbers I wouldn't worry about, the 5lbers may just be smaller as adults. They may not make adult weight, have had that happen too. What colors are they?

my other breed is white new zealand and i feed the flemish all they want the colors r buck is black the does r one is light grey the other is dark grey they dark grey is bigger then the light grey and the buck is the smallest but the oldest by 2 weeks they all have on cage and i feed all they will eat in hay and feed. i just really wanted to know about them flemish couse they r so small and i had them checked by vet he didnt find anything wrong with them they just dont eat much. i have a8 mouth old new zealand that is 9lbs and eats 2 times what the flemish do but the flemish r cute and i really like there coats

they r the man i got them from had the papers on them he breeds for 4h and shows i have friends with him for 30 years

Okay Black is one of the less worked on colors so they are often smaller, and one is a light gray, so I don't expect a monster, and the last sounds like a steel, and on average steels aren't really large either. Granted, I have seen very large specimens in all these colors, but they are the exception not the rule. I was afraid you were going to say you had sandies, then I would have been worried. Sandies are by far the largest, and REW's that have Sandies behind them, I've seen those hit 25lbs. I've been thinking about this, and I think that my light grays were on average 7 to 9 lbs at 6 months, with the occasional smaller and larger one. As adults they ran 14 to 16lbs, and continued to grow/gain weight often up to and over a year old. Rule of thumb for breeding Flemish does is at 11 months, because you want to let them grow to full potential. NZW's on the other hand grow fast and big and heavy, and mature much quicker, their heavier because they are a meat breed, which quite frankly Flemish are not. Very different breeds, one slow growing, slow maturing with very marked size differences in the colors, and one fast growing, meaty, and rather 'cookie cutter'. Relax, I don't think there's anything wrong with your rabbits, your buck is just on the small side. Since this guy is your friend when its time to breed your does maybe he'll let you use the biggest buck he has if your unhappy with your buck, thats what I would do. In the meantime just enjoy them, they are wonderful rabbits, so much more interesting than the very 'Vanilla' NZW's. Good Luck!!

I have had the same problem with giant chinchillas and normaly they are jus late bloomers I have had litters that some are mature weight at 6 months and some arent till a year and sumtimes even longer my advice give them as much food as they will eat also I personaly dont like to feed hay to anything growing just seems with my experience they grow slower with hay and pellets versis just pellets altho it doesnt make since cause more feed should equaly more growth thats just how it has been for me wether you want to do that or not is ones own personal decision and I also have friends who it works out fine for but again personaly for some reason it doesnt work with my rabbits so you may try that. good luck with your flemish I just picked up a pair of flemish myself and hope to be breeding them in the spring

Latest posts

Back