Help with chinchilla Mini Lop Show standards

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyBounce

Reaction score
Hello,

We're looking at buying a chinchilla mini lop for my son for 4H.
I hear that they are judged harder, they have to have a curtain amount of color bands, etc... but I don't know much more and am striking out on google searches.
Is there anyone online that can help with what the breed color standards are so that I know what to look for when I go check it out later this afternoon?

Thanks,
BunnyBounce

__________ Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 pm __________

This is the best I've found so far, but being new to chinchillas it is semi-gibberish to me...
Does someone have a secret decoder ring?

Chinchilla (Agouti) -- coloration is to be a sparkling mix of pearl and black that is lightly tipped with black. The intermediate band is to be pearl over a slate-blue undercolor. Width of the intermediate band and the width of the slate-blue band should be equal. Surface color of the belly is to be pearl with a slate blue undercolor. Chest, head, outside of ears, and upper side of tail are to match the body surface color. Ears are to be laced in black. Eye circles, nostril, and jowls are to be pearl. Toenails are to be dark in solids. Eyes are brown or blueish grey. (quoted from the Mini Rex standard - ARBA Standard of perfection)

Faults --surface color that is too light, too dark, uneven, or brownish; indistinct ring color, cloudy or smoky ring color; surface color having a salt and pepper appearance; failure to show slate-blue undercolor on belly.

Disqualificaitons -- absence of ring color on top or sides of body; harlequin markings <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> This is the one we're looking at:

Attachments

• chinchilla mini lop.jpg
    chinchilla mini lop.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,125
Chin bands. Black tip, pearl (white) band, slate blue under coat. First picts.

so-i-have-done-some-reading-on-agouti-but-i-am-still-t19269.html?hilit=Chin%20rings

Light surface color, below dark surface color.
what-color-t19524.html?hilit=%20Chin

Tomorrow I can go out and take pictures of a light chin, and one without the pearl ring color.

__________ Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm __________

Chinchilla (Agouti) -- coloration is to be a sparkling mix of pearl

A really brilliant white, salt and pepper color difference.

and black that is lightly tipped with black.

tip of the hair shaft is black

The intermediate band is to be pearl over a slate-blue undercolor.

Color order, top tipped black, second pearl (bright white band, third slate gray to the skin.

Width of the intermediate band and the width of the slate-blue band should be equal.

peal band and slate gray undercoat band should be the same width.

Surface color of the belly is to be pearl with a slate blue undercolor.

Agoutis should have white bellies, no black surface color on them. If they have no white bellies, or any white on eyes/nose, you may have a steel.

Chest, head, outside of ears, and upper side of tail are to match the body surface color.

No shading, could mean shaded agouti if there is.

Ears are to be laced in black.

black ring around the ears.

Eye circles, nostril, and jowls are to be pearl.

White agouti rings around eyes, nose, and jawline

Toenails are to be dark in solids.

unless it's a broken chin, dark toenails

Eyes are brown or blueish grey.

chins have a wide variety of eye color, everything from dark brown, light amber brown, bluish gray, grayish blue, ordering on blue eyes.

Faults --surface color that is too light,

generally means a wideband, less tipping makes the color lighter.

too dark,

gotta watch agoutis, the trend is to a narrow band so the surface color is too dark, happens a lot in non agouti to agouti breedings.

uneven, or brownish;
makes the bun look like it's always in molt, or a sign of a shaded agouti.

indistinct ring color, cloudy or smoky ring color; surface color having a salt and pepper appearance;

my use of salt and pepper as only a contrast color, the rabbit should have distinct rings, not mixed up salt and pepper pattern look, or jagged ring pattern. I actually have a chin with a missing midband.

failure to show slate-blue undercolor on belly.

should be blue to the belly

Disqualificaitons -- absence of ring color on top or sides of body; harlequin markings

I breed American Chinchillas and their standard for colour is similar to the one you listed for Mini Lops.

The kit in the picture looks like he fits the colour part of the standard well. He has a nice mottled pattern that is not even and lacks any sootyness. I cannot see his ring pattern so cannot comment on it but it should have distinct bands of slate-pearl-black-white-ticking(see picture of AmChin rings)

BUT

Colour and ring pattern are only a small part of judging and make sure he has the proper body conformation and ear carrage as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,108
Dood":297vd2je said:
BUT

Colour and ring pattern are only a small part of judging and make sure he has the proper body conformation and ear carrage as well.

Amen!!!!

Type before color, unless it's a marked breed.

You might want to look at more pictures before purchase. That Mini Lop is awfully young to know type right now, if you are getting on for show. Best time to get a really good idea is 10-12 weeks preferably. A nice adult is also a better option because there aren't any surprises.

The color on Mini Lops is hardly looked at. Anything goes. Mostly, you just want them to nail correct type. Type is 80 points for this breed. So type,type,type. Worry about color later. :)

I am wanting to start breeding my mini lop rabbits. Is it okay to breed a chinchilla color mini lop doe to a black mini lop buck? I'm having a hard time finding information on that.

I am wanting to start breeding my mini lop rabbits. Is it okay to breed a chinchilla color mini lop doe to a black mini lop buck? I'm having a hard time finding information on that.
You might want to make your own thread, but in mini lops you can breed pretty much any color together. Chinchilla x black is fine. Chestnut is the most likely color; unless the black is a hidden steel (which is common in mini lops), then steels are common too

Back