Help with cage planning?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddsaysgimmie

Reaction score
I'm getting some hanging cages soon and am not sure what to do with them. They will be 6 feet long, 2 feet wide. 2 of those. My rabbits live in my basement so I was thinking of making something like this:

564930_2927937326534_1785065283_n_zps1a0d5c4d.jpg

Not my pic.. can't remember where I found it.

Does anyone have cages like this? I'm wondering what the best way to go about it would be.. I'm terrible with building things and have no idea how to do any of this. How large should the plastic under the cages be to minimize mess? Should I hang them or build a frame? How is the plastic and eavestrough held in place?

I'm totally clueless as you can tell.. Any advice or tips would be great.

I like the 6' x 2' design - I build a lot of these and put a divider with a door in the middle so the cage can be 2 holes or opened up into 1. My meat rabbit does are quite large so they get a whole unit.

I have hung the units, set them on stands, and incorporated them into triple stackers with trays.

Making a gravity feed water system helps a lot, too. We use a 5-gallon bucket for 2 sets of the triple stackers.

Thanks. I have Hollands so they are divided into 3 holes each. So I will have 6 holes. :) I just have a bunch of random cages right now so I figure this should be easier and neater

siddsaysgimmie":pehhwi6p said:
I'm getting some hanging cages soon and am not sure what to do with them. They will be 6 feet long, 2 feet wide. 2 of those. My rabbits live in my basement so I was thinking of making something like this:

[Does anyone have cages like this? I'm wondering what the best way to go about it would be.. I'm terrible with building things and have no idea how to do any of this. How large should the plastic under the cages be to minimize mess? Should I hang them or build a frame? How is the plastic and eavestrough held in place?

I'm totally clueless as you can tell.. Any advice or tips would be great.

I had a setup real similiar and it was nice but was so much work to keep clean. Of course I had alot more cages too. Me personally, I would only stack cages if there was limited space and No other way. What you are wanting to do will not be simple for someone that is unskilled. The panels under the cages need to be where they can be taken down and cleaned/scrubbed. You will have to build some type of frame so the gutter can be mounted.

This is a picture of my old set-up.

Rabbits11011-1.jpg

I would be willing to offer help any way I can.

Notice the angle on the pannels, secondly, if you can do it, have a gutter system that can handle it ALL, so you just hose it down once a day then go muck the pile weekly

What do you mean by "handle it all"? Should I have a certain kind or size? I'm not even sure where to buy it or how much it costs.. heh.

Maybe this picture will help a little. This is also a pic of my old rabbitry---got a set of cages stacked on the right. If you were to setup using old window screens to collect the poop like I have in these pictures----I feel it helps ALOT in cleaning up. I just dump the screens every few days, rince them if needed and replace. All the urine goes through the screens and drains into the drain. I would rince the angled metal every couple days. I really liked this set-up, but I like my "Meals On Wheels" setup alot better.

Rabbits11012-1_zps49a6fbbc.jpg

The screens are a good idea, thanks! I'm going to be dumping everything daily so I don't think it should be too hard to clean? Either way, I can't see it being more annoying than my current cages.. I have a lot of solid-bottomed cages and I'm hoping to eventually replace all of them with ones like these.

My cages arrived yesterday, I just have to assemble them.

If anyone could tell me the best way to put the frame and "tray" ect together, that would be great. I think I could do it if it's explained. Anyone know approximate prices as well?

Thank you! That should help a lot. I think I'll try to find the flat plastic and use a PCV pipe cut in half (I have some lying in the backyard.. hehe). Now to figure out how to cut it..

My cages arrived and I assembled them.. I'm hoping to plan out how to build the whole thing soon, as they look great. :) I'll post a picture of them later and if anyone has any ideas/advice at all, that would help.

here's my setup - 2x3x18" cages with "subterranean" nesting boxes...autowaters (brass nipples in poly line) I let the "waste" accumulate over the late fall-early spring time frame - it provides heat in the rabbitry - then in the spring onto the veggies it goes.

232323232%7Ffp%3B89%3Enu%3D3378%3E76%3B%3E589%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3C%3A7%3B764833%3Anu0mrj

Mmmm, nice setup Hillbottom ... I agree, if you can let the waste fall below the cages, in the winter where it gets below freezing regularly it definitely helps with providing warmth ... in my case, with the 6mil plastic sheet drapes, it keeps the water crocks from freezing solid over night :p

Nice set up. :) Since buns are in my basement, I have to clean them often and make sure they don't make a mess. I sure wish I could just hang the cages outside but I can't with all of the dogs around.

Latest posts

Back