Help watery eye

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugzy4Lady

Reaction score
Yesterday morning this doe had a really watery eye, later in the day it was dry and is still dry this morning. Worried this could be the start of snuffles. I seperated her from the others, she is eating fine and acting ok, should I start antibiotics? If so how much? Thanks for your help

I hope I correctly attached a picture of her- first time doing this

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 448
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I have a question about weepy eye.

Some people say immediately remove the rabbit from the herd and begin treatment with eyebright, etc. Others say allowing it's mate to clean they eye... I'm confused?

isolation is the best policy.

now.. weepy eye can be caused by a variety of things.. teeth, ear issues, infection, "allergies", high ammonia issues, and what not.

How you handle it depends on your philosophy towards rabbits and potential for carry over of disease. people have different tolerance levels. Mine tends to be fairly low.

Since.. if EVERYONE else in the herd is doing well... and you aren't then you are NOT a rabbit I want to keep around.

Mine is... be well or become food.

if you aren't well. I'll support you by natural methods for about a week TOPS and if I see no improvement you become food.

Gut issues simply become food. Snot, becomes food (not that I've seen snot for over two years now). Weepy eyes.... I'll move you to better ventilation/isolation. Give you one week to clear up or to at least drastically improve.. and if you don't.. say bye bye as food. If you clear up and are a nice rabbit I'll rehome you.

It has been very windy here lately. She is one of the rabbits located outside. To be sage I brought her into my isolation area and she seems to be just fine. Like I said before she is eating well and currently I have only seen her with the watery eye once. I guess at this point I just plan on monitoring her real close for the next few days. Is it possible she could of just had something in her eye and this is a rabbit's way of cleansing the eye?

Bugzy4Lady":1spw2pex said:
It has been very windy here lately. She is one of the rabbits located outside. To be sage I brought her into my isolation area and she seems to be just fine. Like I said before she is eating well and currently I have only seen her with the watery eye once. I guess at this point I just plan on monitoring her real close for the next few days. Is it possible she could of just had something in her eye and this is a rabbit's way of cleansing the eye?

Yes, it is possible that something is in her eye. If you have any eye-drops, that should help remove any debris. It would also help sooth any irritation cause by the constant watering.

Do you have any Vetricin? I was speaking to the owner of a feed store and he was telling me that according to the Vetricin Rep, dairy farmers love the stuff- they squirt it into the eyes of their cows when they have issues. They use the blue one, and it saves them a lot of work because they used to use ointment and had to put the cows into a squeeze chute in order to medicate them.

Latest posts

Back