HELP! Should I cull this doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
I’m having a hard time on deciding weather I should “cull” this doe or not. She is a 9 Month Old Red Rex. She has been blind for part of her life and has recently developed an addiction to biting herself. Please lmk what you would do in this situation. 66AF5BB1-37A4-4D9C-B2A6-6DD896829FF4.jpeg10745664-686F-4180-ABEE-17E9039F621E.jpeg

Jackrabbit, I edited your title to be more specific about the problem. Not only will more people read it, but it will show up in searches in the future.

Now, to your dilemma. My first inclination was to say euthanize the poor doe, and that still may be your best solution for her sake.

But I remembered a problem I had with my Pilgrim gander. He tore a toenail, not much of an injury, but every morning it was a bit worse until there was a sizeable open wound. We had an ongoing rat problem at the time, but I never thought they'd attack a goose. Wrong! At night they were tormenting him, attracted by the smell of blood and making it worse. Once we suspected this, we attached quarter inch hardware cloth to a dog crate and put him in there every night. The wound began to heal and soon he was well again.

So I ask you: do you have rats? Is this doe's cage rat-proof? No access points larger than 1" x 1" and that includes open-topped J-feeders? Take a minute to consider this possibility. It may not be the doe biting herself, although once having an open wound, she may be worrying it in an effort to be more comfortable.

The eye looks like either a cataract or something called "moon eye."
I found this old thread, which gives a bit of information. You could google the term that Devon uses to find out more.
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/is-this-moon-eye.2641/
If you google rabbits moon eye you will find info about various rabbit eye problems that resemble this.

I would probably cull this doe if she were mine. You can't breed her like this and the eye problem may be genetic. But before you do, make sure you don't have a rat problem.

~ Maggie

Thank you Maggie! I DO have a rat problem. I don’t know how she got the bite mark, I noticed it about 3 days ago and sprayed it with Blue Kote. It was small, this morning I noticed it was much bigger and saw her biting it. I would’ve culled her immediately, the only reason I haven’t is that she was a gift. I had a doe Leyla, who I loved! She died last year and her only 2 daughters I sold to someone who lived north of me! The person could no longer have rabbits so they came back!!! I love both of them, but I don’t really have the heart to kill her…. Although I could, that would still leave me with her sister.

I suggest you make sure the rats cannot get at her. After my experience with the gander and rats. I know how aggressive they can be. Even a small scratch will lead rats to attack, literally eating your doe alive.

I can't advise you about her eye, but I do urge you to make sure she is safe from the rats. I hate to think of her in her cage, helpless to get away from them. Please, bring her into the house, even in a pet carrier, while you make your decision.

And please, do something about the rat infestation. The 50/50 mix of Plaster of Paris and confectioner's sugar should do the job. Snap traps and commercial poisons are also an option.

Good luck. I've weathered three rat infestations over the years and it's not fun. But they can be kept in check if you work at it.

She is in the garage. As for the rats, I have Cats, & Used poison. But they’re still around:(. One of my dad’s friends gave us a small bottle of a black liquid a LONG time ago, when I was small lol. We put a few drops in a pan of corn and that took care of the rats for YEARS. We haven’t been able to find the liquid anywhere, and worse part is we don’t remember what it’s called:(. I WILL do my BEST to rid the rats! And will post updates about Aloy, the doe!

rats need a multi-faceted approach to get rid of.

live traps (where you then drown them), CO2 traps (watch shawn woods on youtube), snap traps, old school methods of the plaster of paris with icing sugar and a nearby water source,

You need to lock up ALL food sources securely, that usually means metal bins secured with bungee cords and measure feeding your rabbits so you have no leftover food.

Back