Help! Rabbit with flakey nose.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainViewRabbitry

Washington Rabbit Rescue
Reaction score
Help! Rabbit with flakey nose. I recently got a rabbit that has a flakey nose (yellow ishdead sticky skin. What is it? How do i treat it? Nothing else seems to be wrong with this little buck hes a Holland Lop 1yr 2.8lbs
Is this mites? Or phemonia? Dry/wet skin? Its only on the tip of his nose. from bottom to top is probleby half an inch. Its just on the top part of the nose. Not the nostrills.

Does he lick his private area alot, on his nose is it like a scabby area over his nose ? If so I would say vent disease and he will have to be treated with antibiotics from a vet. And don't breed him til treated its contagious.

Any parasites, ear mites or fur mites use a pea size drop of ivermectin 1.87% in rabbits mouth will kill all of them with 1 dose.

Does he lick his private area alot, on his nose is it like a scabby area over his nose ? If so I would say vent disease and he will have to be treated with antibiotics from a vet. And don't breed him til treated its contagious.
no, no vent disease. Yes its like yellow dead skin over his nose and lost a little hair. he also has dander

no, no vent disease. Yes its like yellow dead skin over his nose and lost a little hair. he also has dander
Something similar happened with one of our rexes, consulted an online vet who said it was a staphylococcus florescence which is common in young rabbits whose immune systems haven't settled down and she suggested that we use Betadine on the flaky skin. Tried it and it worked a charm

the nose is probably not mites. I do suspect he might have fur mites, which means you'll need to treat your entire herd. The easiest way I have found to treat that... IF YOU DON"T have the vienna gene in your herd... is with horse wormer paste with ivermectin in it. Some rabbits with the vienna gene do not respond well to ivermectin (blindness, seizures etc)

if you have the vienna gene I'd recommend revolution (like what you get for cats).

As for his nose, I'd suspect vent disease which you treat with long-lasting penicillin. Along with a gut-supporting diet. sometimes all you see of vent disease is a scabby nose. It can cause problems for your kits. You generally need to treat your herd if you have vent disease. (at least every rabbit that he has any possible contact with or that you could have transferred it too).

I dont think he has vent disease. Hes 1yr and proven we also cant seem to find mites on him but will treat anyway. what should i try to see if it is vent stuff?

Vent disease they can be born with it if the doe has it or if he has it and you used him to breed he had also passed it the every doe you used him to breed with. Depending on weight of rabbit for vent disease its a 7 day penicillin treatment with the shot being injected into to hip changing to other hip every other day.
For any type of worm or mites, if its ear or fur, a pea size drop of ivermectin 1.87% horse worming paste into the mouth 1 time will kill it.

Back