Help! Rabbit nest in my garden

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonjaze

Reaction score
So I was standing with the hose in my hand, peacefully watering my fledgling garden, when suddenly the mulch started to move. Being as how I did not plant any Mexican jumping beans, this needed investigating.

Right between my peas and my broccoli, guess what I found?
IMAG0102.jpg

Can anyone give me a guess as to how old? Can't be more than a couple days.
IMAG0105.jpg

I have useless dogs, clearly. Or dogs that belong in a Disney movie, that love all creatures.

Can I move the nest into a box so the mother will relocate them? Should I raise them in a cage for meat?

I don't want to outright kill them now. I don't need the garden, it's just a suburban hobby, but I don't really want mama and babies decimating it, either.

Sheesh, it's like giving birth in the middle of the grocery store, I imagine. :p

Advice?

Hmm, if you wanted to raise them to eat, you'd need to trap the mother (live trap, of course) and keep them all in a cage together. She might not fare so well in sudden captivity - then again, she might thrive.
Or you could foster them if you have a doe with a similar age litter, but know that you risk your rabbits catching any diseases these could have. You'd still have to get rid of the mother later, too, or she'll just keep populating your yard with cute garden raiders.

SB

Boy, did their mom ever find prime real estate! :razz:

The mother won't relocate them, though. Rabbits cannot pick up their young like cats can... their teeth would slice right through the baby. By the time they're weaned, you probably won't see them anymore. (You'll still see the damage, though! :lol: Unless you put up a rabbit fence...) I think it's illegal to raise them in captivity, but I'm not sure.

You could try moving the nest, but I don't know if the mother would find them.

Cottontails are born with a little fur, so I'd say probably 2-3 days max.

Most States it is illegal to bother, raise or move wildlife. Once they are eating solids, they will be gone, then put up some chicken wire and no problems.

what are the chances of that happening. I think that is so cool. NOt in a garden that you are using tho. Hard to say what to do .If you leave them there . They are going to eat everything in your garden. Rabbits can lift there babies.It is rare. But they can do it. I seen one do it. Not the whole litter. Just one. And not make a mark on the baby.

I'd say leave them be if you can. Cottontails leave the nest as soon as their eyes open, so it's only for a week or so. It is illegal to keep them in captivity and cottontails often will bash themselves to death against the cage wall, so raising them is not a good choice. Once they are mobile you can fence them out.

LOL, dragonjaze-

that was a funny post. Disney dogs, indeed! :)

We all dream of having more rabbit cages- it is kind of unfair that you will be building more of them to keep wild rabbits out, instead of domestic rabbits in! :lol:

While I'm not averse to leaving them there, my main concern, besides the eventual smorgasbord they will make of my garden, is how to water the neighboring plants while not drowning the little munchers?

Why me?

And when I say IN my garden, I mean my raised bed box:

nest.jpg

Maybe scoot them outside of the raised bed?

Why, oh why, do we have such difficulty getting does to kindle IN THE BOX, when this wild doe OBVIOUSLY has the whole "box" thing figured out???

My- they are close to your plants, aren't they?!

You can make a redneck drip system by taking a gallon jug and making pin-prick holes in the bottom. Put it on the far side of the peas, and the gradual drip of the water will keep them moist without drowning the kits. I would sacrifice the sad little broccoli plant to the compost heap or try to transplant it. :)

Mama, they are so close that the mother rabbit probably nibbles on the plants while she nurses!!

I can see she's already helped herself to some of them.

Well, at least my spoiled indoor bunny likes the broccoli thinnings as much as the wild one did.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2otloml0 said:
Rabbits can lift there babies.It is rare. But they can do it. I seen one do it. Not the whole litter. Just one. And not make a mark on the baby.
Wow, cool! Everything I've read says they can't do it, so eyewitness is better than book learning! :p

I guess it just isn't something they do much.

Miss M":28ea06hg said:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":28ea06hg said:
Rabbits can lift there babies.It is rare. But they can do it. I seen one do it. Not the whole litter. Just one. And not make a mark on the baby.
Wow, cool! Everything I've read says they can't do it, so eyewitness is better than book learning! :p

I guess it just isn't something they do much.

Exactly why forums like this are so wonderful!

Cattle Cait":1ncaotbp said:
Maybe scoot them outside of the raised bed?

Why, oh why, do we have such difficulty getting does to kindle IN THE BOX, when this wild doe OBVIOUSLY has the whole "box" thing figured out???
:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

How crazy is that? I guess mama rabbit figured your garden beds were nice and safe. And what cuties! I bet it was surprising to uncover a little mulch to find a couple handfuls of kits. I would freak out I'm sure.<br /><br />__________ Wed May 30, 2012 9:56 pm __________<br /><br />Actually I freak out when I find babies I'm expecting....

Wow! What an ironic situation!

You could trench alongside the plants and put water in the trench, so it won't flood the nest. Just a 2" depression made with a garden trowel for water to puddle into then soak into the soil below.

Maybe throw a little more straw or hay around the nest for cover?

Well, there's been a nice steady rain for the last few hours today, so if they drown, it won't be my doing, at least! I've decided to leave them and see what happens. I'm a softie, I know.

Might as well kiss my garden goodbye now.

dragonjaze enters the "Watership Down" chapter of life... growing enough to feed the family and the wildlife!

Latest posts

Back