Help on deciding if it is the dread P word

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CameronW

Reaction score
I have read that matted paws can be a sign of this and the snotty noses. Well i have a group of 4 mini lop babies that are abot 9-10 weeks old and all 4 of them have snotty noses. Its like tanish colored snot that you can see and their paws are like matted up and orange but I am pretty sure that the color is from the cage they are in having a little bit of a rusty floor. I got it from a garage a long time ago. 2 of these were does that I was raising for breeding stock and another is for a friend and another is still to be sold. 2 have poop stuck to the fur around their butts too. 3 are from one mom And 1 is from another. They all have the same dad who died of wry neck a few days to a week after breeding the does. The moms are both very healthy and the babies were to until about 2 weeks ago. I dont know what to do. the 2 i was raising for me were both brokens and i have a high demand for broken babies so i would have liked to keep them to breed. What should I do? and i cant seperate them til tomorrow afternoon at the earliest since the only cages i ahve in a seperate area have to be bleached still.

What exactly do the matted paws look like. Saying they are matted is the besy way to describe it. And how should i handle this?

Mucous mats the paws as they wipe their noses.
It is very contagious and requires the use of "sulpha" antibiotics to treat it, generally followed by tetra. (consult a vet)

I have heard they remain a carrier of the illness even after treatment, and removing them from the general population sometimes might be necessary to prevent spreading to others.

I am sorry about the infection.

Good luck

They will always have a weak immune system and can give the disease to others if you sell them to people that already have rabbits, it is your choice but I would cull them.

I think I will just have my brother cull them for me tomorrow. It will give me some practice towards butchering and I dont have the money to invest in treating them if they will carry it later in life. What should i do to the cage they are in? It is the bottom of a stacking set and it doesnt come off so i cant leave it out in the sn for a while. The top has someother breeding stock in it.

Get it as clean as possible with soap and water then mist it with a 10% bleach solution and let it dry on, or you can rinse after 30 minutes. Don't forget the nest box, feeder, water bowl and anything else in the cage as well as any walls or containers that may have been spattered with snot droplets.

Don t put anyone in there for a while and watch your other buns for snot, goopy eyes or sneezing as you may need to cull others.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 pm __________<br /><br />If you are going to butcher, examine their lungs and organs for disease. If they look normal then you may not have pasturella and any buns that develop symptoms but that you don't want to cull may be treated.

Thank you. What should I check for on the lungs and organs? Like will there be spots? And I will have my brother cull the runt first since it isnt worth much. This may put my breeding back some but I want the healthiest ones I can.

Justin":388mufqt said:
It is very contagious and requires the use of "sulpha" antibiotics to treat it, generally followed by tetra. (consult a vet)

Even that won't cure pasteurellosis, it will only knock down the symptoms till they are stressed, which will cause a relapse. They will carry a latent infection that can be passed to other rabbits in your barn.

Happy":388mufqt said:
Burn them and bleach the ashes. Or administer penicillin.

Penicillin is not effective against P. Multocida, you have to use Baytril (enrofloxacin) and something else I cannot remember off the top of my head. Even then, you won't cure it, just mask the symptoms.

:?: Silly question for me, WHAT exactly should you look for with this ??? I have 3 kits with goopy eyes but no snotty noses right now

Cindi Davis":34xpuh9r said:
:?: Silly question for me, WHAT exactly should you look for with this ??? I have 3 kits with goopy eyes but no snotty noses right now

Infection with P. Multocida can present in a lot of ways. Respiratory Pasteurellosis usually presents with white snotty nasal and/or eye discharge, matted paws and sneezing. It can also present with just eye discharge....

Chronic Nest Box Eye in kits can be caused by P. Multocida, so what I do is clean the eyes with Veterycin and then squirt more in the eyes. If it comes back after doing this twice, I cull the kit and any other kits in the litter than develop it.

3 of the litter do not have an issue but would you still cull the whole litter? as the 3 would be carriers??

OneAcreFarm":2yszzfl2 said:
Penicillin is not effective against P. Multocida, you have to use Baytril (enrofloxacin) and something else I cannot remember off the top of my head. Even then, you won't cure it, just mask the symptoms.
Do you have a source for this? I've looked at several sources and the only one that addresses penicillin is wikipedia, which claims the P. Multicoda is penicillin sensitive. Other sources simply say"antibiotics", though one source says "intravenous antibiotics" and I don't think there are any forms of penicillin that are administered in that manner. I'm very interested in this, as it sounds like this is the bunnies version to canine parvo (yes, I know they're not the same thing) but much hardier. Since I plan to start breeding them (I already eat them, though it's been a while on that as well), I'm very interested in their health. Thanks in advance.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:50 am __________<br /><br />
Cindi Davis":2yszzfl2 said:
3 of the litter do not have an issue but would you still cull the whole litter? as the 3 would be carriers??
According to transmission data that I read about the bacterium, it can be carried by almost any mammal, and many never develop symptoms. You yourself could be a carrier or even the carrier that gave it to them. I would personally kill the ones that developed symptoms and permanently quarantine their cellmates who don't develop, but I'm looking at doing this for meat. If I was doing it to sell, I'd simply eat all of them that were in the cage together. This is just my opinion based on a handful of bio/medical sites' information on P. Multicoda, you should probably get a little more info before making a decision, but feel free to quarantine the whole set in the meantime.

I like the analogy of flesh eating disease.

Everybody has it, the bacteria is everywhere, no one knows what exactly causes it to rear it's head and it is very opportunistic so when the conditions are just right it hits you! Treatment must be severe to isolate it from others and prevent it from mutating into something stronger. If they survive it they are never the same and permanently scarred.

Dood":3m9tgt4t said:
I like the analogy of flesh eating disease.

Everybody has it, the bacteria is everywhere, no one knows what exactly causes it to rear it's head and it is very opportunistic so when the conditions are just right it hits you! Treatment must be severe to isolate it from others and prevent it from mutating into something stronger. If they survive it they are never the same and permanently scarred.
I like this as well because it underscores the need to vary the specifics of the details, as flesh-eating diseases are often varieties of less-innocuous bacteria that have become resistant to common antibacterials and antibiotics, such as MRSA.

Latest posts

Back