Help! Must move surprise litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haleyl97

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm not new to rabbits, having owned them for a few years, but have certainly found myself in a new situation. My co-worker purchased 2 "male" rabbits for her young son a few months back. Recently she has decided to give them up, and I took one in as a buddy for my male who recently lost his brother. Fast forward a week or 2 and "Bonnie" was frantically building "his" nest and growing larger by the day. I did some reading online, provided her a nest box, and on Monday she delivered 5 kits, 2 still born and 3 seemingly healthy. I am relocating on Friday, and must take all bunnies with me. I would feel terrible if she rejects her litter because of the move.

She is housed in a large x-pen in my bedroom. I can replicate this set up in her new environment, but not during travel. Should I keep her with the nest box in a large cage during travel, or her and the kits separately? The trip will be almost 3 hours. Has anyone successfully moved a rabbit litter, or have any advice?

Thank you,
Haley

There are never any guarantees in a situation like this, but people often remove the nest box with kits between feedings for a variety of reasons, so I don't think it will be a big problem. The kits should travel separately from the doe to prevent trampling. The doe will likely feel safest in an enclosed pet carrier. Settle the doe in her new home, give her a treat and let her calm down before putting the nest box back.

If it is cold where you are, the kits may need a bit of heat during the journey. I have sometimes used an improvised hot water bottle -- a screw-cap wine bottle with a sock pulled over it. It is important to lay it along one side of the nest box so the kits can gravitate to it or away from it as they need to.

Good luck with the move :good-luck: and welcome to RabbitTalk. :hi:

Thank you! It is quite cold here lately. I'll keep her in a dark carrier, use a hot water bottle, and cross my fingers.

Hi Haley!

MaggieJ has covered all of the bases for you already, but I wanted to say :hi: to RabbitTalk!

There is just one other thing- if Bonnie was still sharing a cage with his her new friend when she delivered the kits, she is probably pregnant again. Does are very receptive just after giving birth, so if this is the case, you will need to give Bonnie another nestbox in 28 days.

Definitely separate during transport. Rabbits only nurse once or twice a day, so she won't miss them. Actually, she will probably be a lot calmer without them in her line of sight.

Depending on your transit time, don't be in too much of a rush to return the nestbox when you arrive.
Like Maggie j said, let her settle down first.
It might even be good to keep them out for at least 12 hours so that she's more likely to be ready to nurse right away when you return them. (although sometimes that can take 24 hours) They shouldn't need supplementary heat if she's pulled plenty of hair, and the kits are kept inside a warm car or building.

MamaSheepdog":v956xyqv said:
Hi Haley!

MaggieJ has covered all of the bases for you already, but I wanted to say :hi: to RabbitTalk!

There is just one other thing- if Bonnie was still sharing a cage with his her new friend when she delivered the kits, she is probably pregnant again. Does are very receptive just after giving birth, so if this is the case, you will need to give Bonnie another nestbox in 28 days.

I hope not!! I separated her when she started building her nest about a week before the birth. <br /><br /> -- Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:15 pm -- <br /><br />
Zass":v956xyqv said:
Definitely separate during transport. Rabbits only nurse once or twice a day, so she won't miss them. Actually, she will probably be a lot calmer without them in her line of sight.

Depending on your transit time, don't be in too much of a rush to return the nestbox when you arrive.
Like Maggie j said, let her settle down first.
It might even be good to keep them out for at least 12 hours so that she's more likely to be ready to nurse right away when you return them. (although sometimes that can take 24 hours) They shouldn't need supplementary heat if she's pulled plenty of hair, and the kits are kept inside a warm car or building.

Thank you, I am less worried over moving them with information and a plan. She's definitely pulled plenty of hair and even seems to pull more each time she visits the nest box.

Latest posts

Back