Help me find a website that shows Rabbit Fetal Development

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOWsMom

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
No idea where to post this !

I'm trying - so far unsuccessfully - to find a website / page that shows the general fetal development of domestic rabbits.

Kind of the like the week-by-week fetal development ones you can find for human pregnancy, but with rabbits instead!

Bug4H has been in touch with a breeder, and I thought it would be interesting for her to follow along as the mama doe is pregnant until she delivers.

But I can find NOTHING that shows what I want to show her. Plenty that show aborted / DOA fetal kits, but none that show even drawings of the development :(

Maybe I just suck at google ! <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:10 am __________ <br /><br /> Someone on Facebook came to my rescue!

https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embr ... evelopment

and

https://embryology.med.unsw.edu.au/embr ... late02.jpg

You'd think there would be more material available on an animal so heavily associated with medical research.
:shrug:

I'm not even sure where one would get reference photos to make a drawing from.

I've seen a very helpful website detailing fetal development in cats - a vet took the time to develop a fairly comprehensive catalogue of images during the huge number of spays she had to perform during her career, and during the caesareans she carried out when things didn't go right...obviously with helping feral populations as part of her work and with late-term spaying being seen as a viable option for a lot of cats who would be better off not pregnant (very young, ill, complications, and so on), as well as the occasional unfortunate casualty of nature that she couldn't save (in the case of the very late term, potentially viable fetuses), she was over the months/years able to compile a photographic record of the development from near enough day one, right through to day-of-birth. It's not easy viewing, as none of those kittens made it, of course. But it is very educational. I should imagine it's used in equal parts by responsible breeders wanting to educate themselves, and by spay/neuter campaigners for the shock value.

I suppose there's just nothing like that for rabbits... Or if there is, we haven't found it yet. Those drawings you were provided are good and are more family-friendly anyway ;)

I'm honestly a bit surprised by how difficult it is turning out to be to find anything detailing fetal development!

But that site I linked will be enough (I hope) to stem Bug's curiosity about how "her" rabbit is growing ! :D

I have to say, I'm loving just how enthralled and engaged she is about ALL things rabbit.
We've gone through rabbit anatomy and skeleton together, different breeds, etc.

She's even asked if we could get rabbit meat to cook and eat - see, she's a farm girl at heart, even though we live in the city!

Latest posts

Back