Help! I've got a broody hen on New Year's Day!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not meaning a fopaw but Whats with the rabbit cages? I only ask because I was given 8 random cages. Some are for small birds, large birds, and pet rabbits. One of the bird cages is quite large with a wire floor and a plastic pan under it. It would be great for transporting small rabbits from breeder to home. And cleaner then the dog/cat creates. Is there a health issue with improper usage of a cage? I've never had such issues in the past and I have even raised opossums in a 20gal fish tank. New to rabbits so just curios. :eek:

wamplercathy":2jpof5of said:
Not meaning a fopaw but Whats with the rabbit cages? I only ask because I was given 8 random cages. Some are for small birds, large birds, and pet rabbits. One of the bird cages is quite large with a wire floor and a plastic pan under it. It would be great for transporting small rabbits from breeder to home. And cleaner then the dog/cat creates. Is there a health issue with improper usage of a cage? I've never had such issues in the past and I have even raised opossums in a 20gal fish tank. New to rabbits so just curios. :eek:

It was originally a joke about me not having enough rabbits to fill all my cages. :roll:
Theoretically, if rabbitosis accumulosis had properly set in, I should have been looking for more cages to fill with rabbits, instead of having a "spare" cage I could use to house a broody hen.

wamplercathy":3ohjgxt9 said:

Yes, as Zass says, it was a joke. We do get some kidding going on sometimes. When you've been here a bit longer, you'll see what we mean.

All the same, cages used for one species should be properly cleaned and disinfected before using for another species. I wouldn't worry about a chicken in a rabbit cage, but I would disinfect it before using it for a rabbit again.

MamaSheepdog":2u234970 said:
Zass":2u234970 said:
Ah, does this mean I can get away with putting some quail in an extra rabbit cage? You know...since the other mods are OK with it and all... :twisted:

AAARRRGGGHHH! No, no, no, no, NO!!! ZASS!!! :delete: :delete: :delete:

This is RabbitTalk! Not ChickenTalk, nor QuailTalk, nor... nor... AnyCritterYouCanStuffIntoARabbitCageTalk! :pullhair:

Now see what has happened Miss M and Maggie?!? All of my hard work, UNDONE! :cryingbaby:

Now, repeat after me;

:writelines: I will not use my rabbit cages for anything other than rabbits. I will use only species-appropriate cages for my livestock. Rabbit cages are meant for rabbits alone. There are chicken coops for chickens, quail cages for quail, pig pens for pigs, and lonely cells for those needing re-education on the subject.

Ugh. I hope this will put an end to this nonsense. :evil:

Now... who do I know that is on medication for high blood pressure that is willing to share? :thinking:

The best therapy for high blood pressure is cuddling a bunny, get thee to the rabbtry.

(No one tell MSD that I keep a rabbit in a rat cage) :hiding: :hornetnest: :hornetnest:

I deal with wildlife a lot. So all cages are cleaned/disinfected prior to use and after. And I have certain cages that raccoons and opossums are kept in and nothing else. Their waste needs special care to keep family and pets safe.

wamplercathy":c5t5hpao said:
Not meaning a fopaw but Whats with the rabbit cages? I only ask because I was given 8 random cages. Some are for small birds, large birds, and pet rabbits. One of the bird cages is quite large with a wire floor and a plastic pan under it. It would be great for transporting small rabbits from breeder to home. And cleaner then the dog/cat creates. Is there a health issue with improper usage of a cage?

If you have small breed rabbits, the cages meant for small birds may be okay- but you need to watch the gauge of the floor wire- if it is too small, the larger breed rabbits may develop sore hocks. That is the only "health issue" I can think of.

For transportation (or housing in general) I prefer a raised wire floor over a solid bottomed cage.

Zass":c5t5hpao said:
wamplercathy wrote:Not meaning a fopaw but Whats with the rabbit cages?

It was originally a joke about me not having enough rabbits to fill all my cages. :roll:

A joke?!? :eek:

Zass":c5t5hpao said:
Theoretically, if rabbitosis accumulosis had properly set in, I should have been looking for more cages to fill with rabbits, instead of having a "spare" cage I could use to house a broody hen.

:yeahthat: Obviously you don't have nearly enough rabbits! Hmmph!

MaggieJ":c5t5hpao said:
Yes, as Zass says, it was a joke.

There's that "joke" reference again... *Sigh!*

MaggieJ":c5t5hpao said:
We do get some kidding going on sometimes. When you've been here a bit longer, you'll see what we mean.

Yes, there are certain members here (me, for instance!) that just don't seem to appreciate how serious this business of rabbit raising is. Tsk-tsk!

wamplercathy":c5t5hpao said:
I deal with wildlife a lot. So all cages are cleaned/disinfected prior to use and after.

I always disinfect cages before introducing a new animal to them- whether they are the same or different species, it just seems like a good idea to limit disease and parasite transmission. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:46 pm __________ <br /><br />
3mina":c5t5hpao said:
The best therapy for high blood pressure is cuddling a bunny, get thee to the rabbtry.

Too true! Do you think bunnies will be covered by ObamaCare?

3mina":c5t5hpao said:
(No one tell MSD that I keep a rabbit in a rat cage) :hiding: :hornetnest: :hornetnest:

My torment is never ending. :cry:

I don't know, MaggieJ... shouldn't there be repercussions for confusing a new member with excessive frivolity? :? Not to mention thoroughly hijacking another member's thread? :hijacked:

Good thing Miss M didn't break out the chair, or we might have lost Wampler altogether. ;)

:gossip: Just remember when you break out the ban hammer that I wasn't the only participant here.

MamaSheepdog":9sij49tb said:
3mina":9sij49tb said:

My torment is never ending. :cry:
:hmm: Hmmmm... I'm trying to figure out whether MSD is intentionally playing a victim, or is simply so caught up in the moment, that she's forgotten herself. :eek:

Isn't it true, MSD, that as far as you are concerned, it doesn't matter what the cage's original intent was... it should have a rabbit in it? :twisted:

Back