Help Im new and I have a Flemish Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flemishstar

Reaction score
HI yall, I have a Flemish doe Black and was bred on June 2nd for 4 hours to a sandy 26 lb buck who is papered, Now I have no I ides If it took or not, She looks chunkier, and when I palpate her stomach feels hard and kind of pushed out, but she is long.. :help: ....And she now has Dewlap which she didnt have when I got her also the same day she was bred, So I dont know her tendencies either :? ......I have her on Southern States Premium pelletes and I feed a handful of alfalfa every other day and give her an apple every 2 days and green timothy grass whenever, as well as hay.... :roll: I hope im doin everything right

Seth

Some flemish does never look pregnant even when they are almost due, How old is she and is this her first litter?

Welcome to Rabbit Talk

Try using the search option in the Rabbit Talk tool bar and type in 'palpitate' and you will get some discussions on the art of palpitation.

Usually by 14 days you can feel 'something' up closer to the ribs but if its a small litter they may be well hidden behind her inards.

Hi Seth!

:welcome: to RabbitTalk!

Dood":zzgly6zu said:
Try using the search option in the Rabbit Talk tool bar and type in 'palpitate' and you will get some discussions on the art of palpitation.

Better type in palpate instead... palpitate means to beat strongly or throb. ;)

Flemishstar":zzgly6zu said:
hen I palpate her stomach feels hard and kind of pushed out, but she is long.. :help:

If her stomach is hard, she is not relaxed. Try gently massaging her belly until she loosens up. I usually palpate on a table or on my lap. Some people like to have the rabbit sitting up on its rear legs, but I saw that mentioned only recently, and have always done it with them sitting normally. Start up near her ribs with your thumb on one side and your fingers on the other, and work your way down to her groin area. Your fingers will nearly touch each other if you are doing it correctly (although with a huge animal like a Flemmie, maybe not. :? ) and you will hopefully find grape sized slightly squishy blobs. :)

....And she now has Dewlap which she didnt have when I got her also the same day she was bred, So I dont know her tendencies either :?

That is just a sign that she is more mature. Some does have huge dewlaps and others almost none.

I feed a handful of alfalfa every other day and give her an apple every 2 days and green timothy grass whenever, as well as hay.... :roll: I hope im doin everything right

Hay is very good for their gut motility. :) Fruit should be considered "rabbit candy", so maybe a quarter of an apple would be better. Rabbits are browsers, so things like rose stems and leaves, blackberry and raspberry canes and leaves, willow and apple branches, as well as dark leafy greens are very good for them.

For other ideas on rabbit safe plants, visit this thread:

safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Thanks everyone, she is 2 and a half, and I was told she was bred before and was a great mother@!, I just got her the same day she was bred and didnt have a dewlap???....anywho lol If im doing it right my fingers will touch,,,omg i got woosey, I didnt know I was supposed to squeeze that hard lol

Not 'hard' but firmly yes. The abdominal walls on a rabbit aren't thick like many other animals so it's easier to feel around inside them without having to go inside them. However that doesn't necessarily mean its easy to find what you're looking for in there ;)

lol im hopeless, Ill jusy have to wait and see, once I learn her patterns after this tinme Illknow what to lookj for,,,, My new zealands were so much easier to tell lol, she was also only bred for 4 hours so IF she is oreg, theres probally only a few...Shes not pure bred I dont think she has white feet and a whit spot on nose although her size and characteristics are that of a flemmie...how do I post pics?

__________ Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:24 pm __________<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:28 pm __________<br /><br />Rose petals...ok,.,.,...lol thanks on the suggestion with the apples.....any others

Flemishstar":282h2474 said:
she was also only bred for 4 hours

I knew I missed something crucial in your post. :? Leaving the doe and buck together for hours is not a good idea. They can injure one another. The doe may even castrate the buck. :eek:

They should be supervised while breeding, and it should take no more than ten or fifteen minutes, depending on how many times the buck covers her and how quickly he recovers. I have had many successful breedings with only one cover, but I normally like the buck to cover her two or three times.

The doe determines litter size by the number of eggs she releases, and there are more than enough sperm in one ejaculate to fertilize them.

This thread may be helpful to you:

judging-a-doe-s-readiness-and-breeding-tips-t9869.html

Flemishstar":282h2474 said:
how do I post pics?

There are two tutorials on posting pics:

picture-tutorial-t6003.html

attachment-tutorial-t5.html

Thank you, Im sorry, Let me clarify....When I picked her up she was with the buck and the Girl was watching....im not sure what she did If she took her in and out.... I called her 4 hours before I picked her up and she asked me If i'd want her Bred, I said yes....She has a very Nice rabbitry, clean and was on her hands and knees talking to the rabbit hen I CAME LOL..... So Im unsure of her breeding ritutal...I hope this clarifies a little, and you gave me hope that she is bred, lol when I got there the buck and the doe were laying side by side like they were ready to smoke a cigarette lol<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:27 pm __________<br /><br />castration,,,, ouch :x ..... :eek: ....... :( ... :cry: lol Im gonna check the sites out now thanks

Oh I will!!! I gotta get this picture posting thing under control, this is my only rabbit right now, I got rid of my mini rabbitry 4 years ago due to work, now im unemployed and booorrreed lol, and I got 25 chickens...red crosses Im a pro at them lol.....Back then I have silver martens and NewZealands and even Checkered mixes but this flemish is something else...sooooo large and tall lol shes bigger than my beagal lol

Thank you evveryyyonee SO MUCH

Welcome Flemishstar!

At this point, you might just have to wait. Be sure to put in a nest box at day 28 with lots of hay, just in case :)

*fingers crossed for popples*

Hopefully this pic posts<br /><br />__________ Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:48 pm __________<br /><br />:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap2: :clap2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Attachments

• panda.jpg
    panda.jpg
    625.5 KB · Views: 409
Thank you......Today I added a little calf manna, we'll see, she kinda looks bred, and her tummy was moving while she was breathing....any thoughts?

lol Now im squirming, well she is 2 weeks along....ps do you belong to byc also? anyway, I notice her breathing when shes laying down, but also a kind of rolling movement and a poke>>? doe sthat happen normally, See If I bred her myself and she was mine before hand I wouldnt be so insane, About trying to figure this out ya know what I mean, I knew all my rabbits personally when I had the rabbitry lol..am I sounding nuts? :tornado:

:lol: We're all nuts here, so you'll fit right in! :p

No, I'm not on byc, but I am on homesteadingtoday... hardly ever there, though... I'm here all the time. :D Well... when I can. I ask my chicken questions here in the "Our Other Animals" forum. I just got started with chickens this past fall. :p

I've never witnessed baby movements myself, but it sounds to me like that's what you're seeing. I didn't realize they were big enough at 2 weeks to see their movements, but I can't think of anything else it would be. And your description sounds like baby movements. *remembers taking punishment from own babies* :)

Latest posts

Back