Help I need to find good breeds

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Girl

Reaction score
The guy I am planing to get my Silver Marten does from, also has Chinchilla X NZ buns.

I am trying to find good meat rabbits. How are the Chinchillas meat wise?

He also has harlequins, how are they?

Could y'all list some of the more common breeds that are good for there meat.

Thanks for all the help you have been giving me.

Satins are a very good all around breed.
Many color varieties, great producers and a very well liked Show Rabbit.
Of course I am just a tiny little itsy bitsy bit Biased,
as Satins are my favorite breed and always have been!
I would never lie, they just happen to be my cup of tea.
Whatever breed floats your boat is the one you should go with.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Terry has Chinchilla experience, I think she would vouch for them. I've heard many like them quite well.

My meat breed is Silver Fox, I love them. Not really COMMON in all places, but there are pockets where they are readily available. I suspect they may drop off the rare breeds list in the next year or two.

The Chinchilla x NZ should be an excellent hybrid, at least the first year. After that you'd either get same, NZ, or Chinchilla...all good for meat rabbits. Harlequins are also supposed to be decent for meat.

The NZ has shown time and again that it's (overall) superior to any other breed for quick growth, and has the best meat/bone ratio. However...they're large rabbits, and if you don't need 4lbs of meat every time you butcher a rabbit, any breed will be good.

I don't know about any of the other breeds, but my Harlequin litter has been growing out very well. Of course they are still with me, but they look and feel to have less bone and excellent flesh/meat qualities so far. I would think they would be an excellent breed for a homesteader and I may be partial but I think their pelts are exceptionally beautiful and unique. :)

Lauren

PulpFaction":39v5lcsl said:
Terry has Chinchilla experience, I think she would vouch for them. I've heard many like them quite well.
An AMerican Chinchilla is a good meat rabbit=a bit chunkier than the NZ, bone between NZ and Cal. I have a !/2 AmChin here, pregnant by a NZ/Cal buck. Her mother was aNZ/Cal mix, as well, Buck and mom had cal markings, Marsha due kindle feb 10-21(ralph xposed her 11 sraight days) Iwill let you knowwhat coat colors happen-- Masha is a grey agouti, all ails are brown, no hint of blue or red in her eyes. Her father PJ had evenlymarbled eyes, and a wonderful ring pattern.

Thanks guys/gals,
Is it true that after you breed a calif. to a NZ that the offspring won't be able to produce?

I am kinda wondering if I do want to get another breed besides my Dutch, or if I should build them up to be good meat buns, AND fit the breed standard.

hmm.....what do I do? :)

Farm Girl":1tx079c1 said:
Thanks guys/gals,
Is it true that after you breed a calif. to a NZ that the offspring won't be able to produce?

I am kinda wondering if I do want to get another breed besides my Dutch, or if I should build them up to be good meat buns, AND fit the breed standard.

hmm.....what do I do? :)

NO,
that is NOT true!
Californians and Newzealands are just another breed not a different Genus.
You would have a problem with breeding a Cali Or NZ to a Cotton-tail,
they're offspring would be Sterile.
because they are a different Genus. Any of the Breeds accepted by A.R.B.A. standards
can be crossed to each other and to offspring will be viable.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Duch are well-known for being EXCELLENT meat rabbits. Some studies have shown they have the best dress out ratio of all breeds, but it seems like that study was rather old, so who knows if that is still true, but I bet some other Dutch breeders could tell you. Maybe just keep one large breed doe for when you want larger fryers, and use your Dutch culls for most of your meat. If I raised Dutch, that's what I would do.

Farm Girl":3rfxstqn said:
The guy I am planing to get my Silver Marten does from, also has Chinchilla X NZ buns.

I am trying to find good meat rabbits. How are the Chinchillas meat wise?

He also has harlequins, how are they?

Could y'all list some of the more common breeds that are good for there meat.

Thanks for all the help you have been giving me.

All of these would make decent meat rabbits. And crossing any of them would be fine too.
As was stated before, one would not get sterile rabbits from crossing any breed of domestic rabbit. I have heard the dutch have good meat to bone ratio, but they are smaller, and while they would make a good choice if one had limited space, remember that an animal that is twice the size has 8 times as much volume.

What kind of chinchillas? I really really wanted some so went researching. The giant is huge but has a poor meat to bone ratio. The american chinchilla is just a larger version of the standard and makes a good meat rabbit. The standard chinchilla is the smallest and original meat and pelt rabbit that started the other 2. Either of the latter 2 make good meat rabbits but you'd lose some size with the standard. In the end I couldn't find american chins nearby so I went with d'argents which the people I talked to raising them had also raised NZ and found the d'argents to be much easier to handle and less likely to stress over things. I may content myself with a chinchilla mini rex (which I can also get in broken) and just stick to d'argents and the crosses I'm making for meat.

I didn't name myself "SatinsRule" for no reason. They do, it's just a fact of life, and denial ain't a river in Egypt. :)

Latest posts

Back