HELP - I can't get my does to do the dance

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
Help........

We are pet breeders and have Holland Lops and Lionheads. We would like to try to get a couple of them to breed so that we have kits in time for 4-H.

All of our rabbits are kept in our semi-heated attached 2 car garage. The temps in there are around 45 degrees (we are in west Michigan).

Our does typically are quick at doing the dance in the spring/summer. But today they don't want to have anything to do with our bucks. The poor boys are getting tired from trying. I'm also trying to help them by bring them in the house in a neutral environment and holding the back end of doe up a bit like people do in table breeding, but the boys don't seem to like my help (or I'm not doing it right).

What can we do to get the does in the mood? I've never seen them so "not" interested.

Do I need to give them some "mood lighting", candles, and Kenny G playing softly in the background??? What will work????

:? :? :?

The issue right now is probably the short days and lack of light. Some people put lights on a timer to give about 16 hours of "daylight".

Sometimes a lack of Vitamin A or Vitamin E can cause lack of interest in breeding. While pellets are a "complete" diet at the point of manufacturing, these two vitamins are sometimes lost during prolonged storage or poor storage conditions. You can try supplementing with dark leafy greens (parsley, dandelion leaves) for Vitamin A and BOSS for Vitamin E. Don;t overdo the greens if your rabbits are not accustomed to them. Too much BOSS is fattening, so go easy with it too.

Some people have had good luck giving their rabbits Celestial Seasonings Raspberry Zinger tea for a day or two before breeding. We have no idea why this sometimes seems to help, but a lot of people have reported success with this product.

Sometimes changing things up is all that is necessary. Swapping the buck and doe's cages or letting them breed in a neutral area sometimes helps. Taking the doe for a car ride can also shake her up enough to get her to accept the buck.

As for music... I've never tried it for breeding rabbits, but MidnightCoder once had a pet rabbit that absolutely swooned for the Righteous Brothers' Unchained Melody. It was funny to watch her when she listened to it... She was in total bliss.

jimmywalt":3nf46f18 said:
Help........Do I need to give them some "mood lighting",...
I've had very good luck in the winter months running lights 14-16 hours a day. :yes:
...candles...
Not unless you want to have a "fire sale". :shock:
...Kenny G playing softly in the background?
What do you want to scare them for? :p

Like Maggie said, the light seems to be the biggest thing IMO. I do feed a little BOSS in the winter months as well and they get Cilantro all year round.

Just the time of year, bet they will be in the mood as the days lengthen. We are in Michigan too and last month had very few sunny days, hoping for a bit more sun soon!

jimmywalt wrote:Help........Do I need to give them some "mood lighting",...

I've had very good luck in the winter months running lights 14-16 hours a day. :yes:

...candles...

Not unless you want to have a "fire sale". :shock:

...Kenny G playing softly in the background?

What do you want to scare them for? :p

Like Maggie said, the light seems to be the biggest thing IMO. I do feed a little BOSS in the winter months as well and they get Cilantro all year round.

A little of this may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FygIKsnkCw

Do you use ACV in your water for your rabbits? It seems to help with them breeding. I live in west Michigan myself. we have our lights on from 6am to 1030pm (daylight bulbs), country music in the back ground 24/7, give the acv (apple cider vinegar - 2tbs per gallon) 24/7, and so far no problem breeding (knock on wood :)).

Back