HELP!!! Animal Control is coming!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AC didn't like excessive poop in my cages. My rabbits OTOH like digging in poop. They took the rabbits but would give them back if I corrected problems. They also did follow up inspections.

I assume they would check to see your rabbits are not over crowded, living in poop, starving or diseased.

No additional advice here besides to say make sure the poop/pee thing is completely under control as with the smell too. Sorry that you're going through it. I hope it won't be as bad as you're thinking.

MaggieJ":37u241u8 said:
In one cases they asked for some changes, gave a time limit for those changes to be implemented and then came back for a follow-up and signed off on it.

I can vouch that I and my colleagues would have done the same. In most cases, your ACO's are animal lovers as well and would much rather help you than harm you and your animals. Now, if we could only guarantee they were ALL this way...

Dood and DogCatMom are not joking with their comments either! I have been around the animal control and welfare scene for the better part of 10 years and while a good 80% of my complaints were in fact dog/cat related, we did have the occasional "stock" or "farm" calls (as we called them). Growing up around the farm my entire life, I knew enough about cows, horses, pigs, goats, etc., and while I couldn't necessarily tell what specific breed of animal I was looking at on some calls, I was able to justify whether or not they were being cared for properly.

Zass":37u241u8 said:
and if it's a dog who bit someone being reported...it automatically transforms into a pitbull or a rottie. :lol:

This has to be one of the most aggravating subjects! I have responded to more bite calls and 'attacks' from chihuahua's, dachshunds and poodles than anything. They are just territorial breeds with a Napoleon complex on steroids. And just imagine, if the "pit's" were truly that bad of a breed, how did the Little Rascals survive with Petey?
gang29.jpg

Animal Control in the states is an agency that has the job of removing wild animals in heavily populated areas, folllowing up on complaints about pets such as bad living conditions, biting someone, making too much noise, etc.and keeping stray animals off the streets. They also in our area enforce codes such as having rabies shots, having more animals than are allowed by code, having animals that are not allowed (for instance, pit bulls are outlawed in one county, my neighborhood doesn't allow chickens, most areas outlaw wild animals unless you have a special license.). I believe most Animal Control departments are county employees and in some areas may be a city agency. The agency has the legal.power to issue citations, remove animals or take other action to correct a.problem. Sometimes people file complaints to "get back" at others, and the agency is obligated to investigate. And like any group that has authority, many of the people are folks who want to keep society running smoothly and are willing to work with different points of view, but once in a while you run into those who use it as a chance to strut their stuff and show how much power they have over you by digging out obscure regulations or being unreasonable. For that reason getting a notice that AC is citing you/investigating a complaint is usually enough to make most folks want to spontaneously throw up or wet their pants because it feels invasive and you feel like you have no control.

Sorry to hear you're going through this, Ladysown! I wish I could help but I imagine I'm two or three hours away from you. I worry about the same thing although I'm out in the country and my closest neighbor has chickens too and we're both of the same mind set. My chicken coops can be seen from the road although the rabbit colony might not be seen through the trees.

Hope everything works out for you. :)

Back