Help a newbie out? Single kit born on wire!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marie

Reaction score
We are new to this breeding thing. Our doe should've had her kindle on Sunday. Tonight we found a dead baby on the floor of her cage. Is she still going to have more? Should we breed her again now? She is supposed to be a proven mother. At least I paid for that. The buck is a newbie too, though. She seemed to be moving the straw in her box, but no hair from her dewlop.
We are confused!

Hi Marie,

you say she should have kindled on Sunday- what day is that from when she was bred? It is generally recommended to put the nestbox in the cage on day 28, but most does kindle between day 30-32.

marie":15oumrjg said:
Tonight we found a dead baby on the floor of her cage. Is she still going to have more?

She will probably have more, but may have them on the wire since she hasn't done much with her nest. You might want to line the cage with cardboard and bedding just in case.

If you find cold kits, make sure to warm them up before you count them as dead. I warm towels in the dryer, make a small hollow, cover and then close the dryer door to contain the heat. Make sure everyone in the household knows that there are kits in the dryer so they don't inadvertently turn it on.

***In the future, if you have an emergency situation, try to be more specific in your title. It has been over an hour since you posted, and if our members were more aware of the situation, you would have gotten replies before this.***

She may or may not have more. I had an elop who had a single kit DOA kit on day 34, too, so I bred her on day 35. On day 36, she had another DOA kit. 31 days later she had 3 live kits. Sometimes, breeding them will help expel remaining kits.

Marie, I edited your title in the hope that you will get more advice. :clover:

ilovehome":32xma21o said:
She may or may not have more. I had an elop who had a single kit DOA kit on day 34, too, so I bred her on day 35. On day 36, she had another DOA kit. 31 days later she had 3 live kits. Sometimes, breeding them will help expel remaining kits.

I just want to say... :shock: :shock:

Thank you for the responses! She has hair in the nest this morning. So, we are hoping this means she will have the rest of her kits today or tomorrow? Sunday would've been her day 30. The breeder we got them from said she was like a clock. Maybe her new home got her stressed out and she isn't going to be like they said.

Did the breeder tell you what day she was bred or just a due date? By Sunday you mean the 29th of this month or the 21st? Just hate to assume anything :) Hope you have a nice wiggley bunch in a short bit but, keep us informed. I was and am confussed reading the post, dates always a plus :).

Silver Cloud":30yglesh said:
Did the breeder tell you what day she was bred or just a due date? By Sunday you mean the 29th of this month or the 21st? Just hate to assume anything :) Hope you have a nice wiggley bunch in a short bit but, keep us informed. I was and am confussed reading the post, dates always a plus :).
Sorry for the late response and the confusion. She had 6 kits. But then the nest was flat when they were 6 days old. We fed her mint for a week and we are giving her another go. She and our buck have had 3 "dates"-the 3rd being today. <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:13 pm -- <br /><br />
curelom":30yglesh said:
marie":30yglesh said:
The breeder we got them from said she was like a clock. Maybe her new home got her stressed out and she isn't going to be like they said.

How long have you had her?
We got them on super bowl Sunday. She was supposed to have had at least 3 kindles before we bought her.

marie":1e4uncs9 said:
But then the nest was flat when they were 6 days old.
Hi Marie--sorry to hear you lost the kits. Hope the next go-around is better.

What happened to the kits? Did they die, or disappear? I have my cages outside, and if they disappeared I'd be looking at predators possibly, and wanting to make sure my wire wasn't too far apart that the kits could crawl out or something like a raccoon could reach fingers in & pull them out. :cry: Just wanted to check on that possibility so it wouldn't happen to you again.

Good luck the next round!

They were dead. :( They are in cages in the house. Thanks for the good luck! I hope it goes better this time.

As a neewbee myself I have the understanding that parsley is good for the doe to help with her milk production but I think mint will dry the milk up over time. If the nest was flat she may have stomped on the babies because she had no milk left for them if I read correctly you were feeding her mint but some more experienced breeders may be able to shed light on that. Sorry for the loss of your kits hopefully 2nd time around all will be well.

The way I understand was that the kits were missing then the mint was fed to dry her up....but yes clear up the confusion of the situation and
people can offer more help....were the kits found dead or were they missing?

Latest posts

Back