Hello

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sherm1995

Reaction score
Hello all, new member to the forum. I have been involved with rabbits for about 9 years. I recently took over the lead of county fair rabbit barn for my area. I am always seeking out new information or new way to share information with my members. So happy to be here.

Jul

Lincoln. It is fun, just trying to find new ways to present information to kids that need the new information without making it too boring for the existing members that have heard it all before.

Hello all, new member to the forum. I have been involved with rabbits for about 9 years. I recently took over the lead of county fair rabbit barn for my area. I am always seeking out new information or new way to share information with my members. So happy to be here.

Jul
So much fun! :) We have been involved in the rabbit barn at our state fair for years. We've had all kinds of feedback on our efforts - almost all positive - so I'd be happy to share!

Rabbit info table: Several of our club members have made display boards (from 4-H and/or Science Fair projects) that we set up in the entry to the rabbit area. It always amazes me how many people stop to read them. The boards include rabbit care, breeds, and experiments (running rabbits through mazes for the science fair). We leave these boards up for the duration of the fair. On this table we also spread out a collection of back issues of ARBA's Domestic Rabbits magazines, and informational flyers sold as a fair kit by the ARBA

Rabbit petting table: Most of our local rabbit club members take turns volunteering at the Fair, both to keep watch over the rabbits (stopping folks from feeding them kettle corn or fingers, haha) and to talk to fair-goers about the rabbits. Most of us bring rabbits to the Fair, so we pull out rabbits we own to let the fair-goers pet them (especially fun with Satins, Rex, Mini Rex and angoras!) and ask questions. It's incredible how many people tell us they've never touched a rabbit before! It is a great way to dispel much misinformation about rabbits and rabbit-raising, and help folks interested in raising rabbits get started. It is also a great way for youth involved in rabbits to get some public speaking/leadership experience.
DSCN1578.JPG204_1547.JPG

Competitions: The Fair hosts a number of competitions including conformation classes, a 4-H Junior Market Auction and Rabbit Showmanship.

The conformation classes result in ribbons being displayed on the cages, which always attracts a lot of attention and allows discussion of breed standards which is both foreign and fascinating to fair-goers.
DSCN1577.JPG204_1546.JPG

We hold the 4-H Rabbit showmanship competitions during the open days of the Fair, and both the showmanship and the awards ceremonies are a big hit with the public.
DSCN1603.JPGAwards Senior Rabbit Showmanship b.jpg

A few years ago we also had rabbit meat pens entered in the Junior Market Auction for the first time in many years. It also drew a lot of attention and interest (and brought home quite nice market checks for the competitors!).
DSCN1555 (2).JPGView attachment Buyer Photo 2021.JPG

Jul
Oh bother, I re-read your post and now I'm thinking you were asking for input about educating 4-Hers/FFAers (members), not fair-goers. ?

If so, I have suggestions for that too. :LOL: Our local rabbit club has been working to develop programs for youth recruitment and education and we've been fairly successful. At our most recent ARBA Youth Shows - last Friday night - we had nearly double the number of entries (from about 30 to almost 60 rabbits) and almost half of the competitors were new. So here are the things we've been doing ...

Name-the-Breed contest: This stays new-feeling even for the youth who have already done it a few times. The competition gives the youth a motivation to learn the breeds, and it's easy to make it challenging for them but still give newbies a chance to get some of the answers right. For this one, we give out small prizes to everyone who at least tries. We hold it at nearly every Youth show, so over time the kids are really learning their breeds. It works for both rabbit club members and 4-H and FFA groups.

So this is how we set it up. I have made a set of pages that feature a representative photo of the breed (some but not all taken from the ARBA website Recognized Breeds), as well as information that would separate similar-looking breeds. That information includes standard weights and number of accepted varieties, which differentiates each breed different from all others. We include some easy ones (Lionheads, Harlequins) and some tricky ones (the three breeds of Chinchilla rabbits, for instance). Competitors are free to, in fact urged to, study the ARBA SOP (Standard of Perfection), but once they're in the competition they cannot reference that. We do provide a list of ARBA-accepted breeds so they're not just guessing blind. Here is a sample of the test blank and some of the breed pages:

204_2419 (2).JPG 204_2420 (2).JPG 204_2421 (2).JPG 204_2422 (2).JPG 204_2423 (2).JPG 204_2424.JPG 204_2425.JPG 204_2426.JPG

If your members get too good at naming the breeds, step up to identifying varieties. That one is best if you can have live rabbits for identification purposes, since some varieties require handling to identify them (looking at ring color, for instance). Some varieties will even stump some judges! :ROFLMAO:

Showmanship clinics and competitions: This is another area where even experienced members can remain interested and growing. Once a member is an experienced hand at it, they can start being asked to give demonstrations and teach newcomers.

Rabbit Showing and Scribing Clinics: Many 4-H/FFA members don't know what actually happens at an ARBA show, so our "showing" clinics have been very popular. We include what goes on at an ARBA-sanctioned show, how to enter your rabbit, which rabbits can be entered (purebreds only), how to prepare your rabbit, what to do before and during the show, breed classes (junior, intermediate, senior bucks and does, etc.) and earning ARBA Grand Champion legs. For the kids that are already old hands at showing, we start them on scribing duties (that responsibility will take anyone down a peg or two at first!).

Tattooing, Nail Clipping and Grooming Clinics: Not only are these useful clinics, but we have used them as fundraisers as well.

Coat Color Genetics Workshop: This can be for a group that already has all the basics as well as newcomers. I have found that running a beginning workshop for those new to genetics, and an advanced workshop for those that already understand that basics, works best.

Back