Hello from Texas

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily

Reaction score
My husband and I finally made the leap back to country life this summer, and bought our small farm. We both grew up in the country, so welcoming our first son in June was a big kick in the pants to get out of the city. We have big plans for our little chunk of paradise, and rabbits are first.

We raised longhorn growing up and had a steady supply of beef, so I wanted that same luxury here. We just don't have the room for them.

I've spent a while reading a lot about rabbit care, and I've browsed the forums a bit, too. But I'd really love to tour a rabbitry. It seems like there are a healthy number of Texans here (well done, y'all) Are there any in North Texas? We're in Texoma, so we can get anywhere in N or NE Tx fairly easily. We'd also like to purchase close(r) to home. I'm finding myself partial to a few breeds besides NZ and Californian. I like the idea of Rex.

I'm also really curious about pasturing rabbits after reading about Polyface Farms. Anyone have any experience or advice on that? Maybe someone can whip up a link to an old thread that I missed?

Thanks, y'all!

Welcome to RabbitTalk, Emily! :D I'm sure you'll get some folks chiming in here. You should also be able to find some local rabbitries through ARBA, a national rabbit breeders' association. :)

Hi, Welcome. I am in North Texas. I have NZ, Satins, Standard Rex, & I am working on a line of Champagne out of a pedigreed buck and some does that are half champagne. We raise those breeds for meat. We just added mini rex and Holland lops to herd for raising pets. Not sure how that is going to go but I got proven does for cheap so we will give it a go.

I have found it very difficult to find standard rex in this area.

hello, I'm from Ontario

Pasturing rabbits can be done. You do need to be alert to moving them daily to fresh grass areas. Growth rates will slow down.

Hi Emily! I am in SE Texas. We have Cals, Std. Rex and soon to be Dutch. Check www.rabbitbreeders.us for breeders in your area, along with ARBA.net. Standard Rex are hard to find in Texas. I had to have mine transported in from WI. I love my Cals, they did great over the heat of the summer we did not lose even one to the heat. They are great moms too. Whatever you decide, I am sure you will love raising rabbits. Welcome!

Welcome Emily!

I have Standard Rex, and absolutely LOVE them! Hopefully you will find some- I am in CA. and mine came from several hundred miles away- everyone seems to breed the mini Rex.

Congratulations on moving to the country to raise your family! We moved from the 'burbs when my eldest (Firstpup) was 29 months and Queenpup was 7 months old. It is a wonderful life for kids.

Welcome, Emily! I'm in SE Texas, as well. We have Californians, Standard Rex, and Brazilians. My mom lives in the Metroplex area, so I get up there several times a year.

We moved back into town temporarily when we moved here, but I can't wait to get back out to the country. Unfortunately, my hubby is a dyed-in-the-wool city boy and is trying to keep his commute down, so I'm not sure how far into the country I can get when we get into our own place again.

Thanks for the warm welcome :) Legacy, where in North TX are you? I was emailing a Satin breeder in Carrollton about a trio. Do you have any suggestions about breeders in the area? Are you breeding (or selling) the Standard Rex? What can you tell me about the Champagne breed? I looked at them, but didn't find anyone very local with them so never followed up.

My Maid of Honor is from College Station, and I visit periodically. It seems like I frequent the rabbit hotspots in Texas :D

Emily":1j92f6s9 said:
Thanks for the warm welcome :) Legacy, where in North TX are you? I was emailing a Satin breeder in Carrollton about a trio. Do you have any suggestions about breeders in the area? Are you breeding (or selling) the Standard Rex? What can you tell me about the Champagne breed? I looked at them, but didn't find anyone very local with them so never followed up.
I am nw of the fw area. I am breeding standard Rex but I am not selling any until I can can get more does. I will be keeping every doe I can get and at least one buck.

Champagnes appeal to me because of their history and their rarity, and because they are so unique, have beautiful fur, and have a wonderful, friendly personality. All of those qualities and you can eat them too. LOL

I am breeding and selling black satins and hoping to have some broken blacks in the next litter.

I honestly don't know of breeders in the area. I have had the hardest time finding the stock for my herd. I lucked out and found a lady that showed standard rex and satins and was getting out of showing after 13 years. I know someone that just started breeding NZ but they are brand new to rabbits and just bought out someone elses stock so I don't even know the quality or anything. I have been checking Craigslist every single day for over a year just to see whats out there.

Welcome! I'm not from Texas (oh, how I wish I was) but I'm up in Michigan. I raise Checkered Giants, Palominos, and American Chinchillas.

I'm just starting out on raising rabbits on pasture. My two brood does that I moved outside escaped, so my first advice is to have a very rabbit-proof pen! The feed efficiency was great though. It took two Havana-sized does three days to finish off a crock of feed when they had free access to pasture. They had so much fun running around and playing too.

Welcome to the forums, Emily!

Rabbits are a very versatile animal, but if you're thinking of giving it a go primarily for meat to feed your family, I'd look long and hard at a breed in the commercial breeds category. NZ, Cals, Palominos, Satins, and several others fit into that category. You can look at my forum name and see that I'm biased toward one breed, but there are others which are commonly used for food source and it's for a good reason.

Texas is also good showroom country. Some very active breeders and clubs down there, not to mention the $$$ which is there to be made in the fairs. The Houston Livestock Show is renowned for having pretty significant paydays, and Fort Worth is no slouch, either. They hosted an ARBA national convention just a few short years ago, and are set to host the National All-Satin show later this spring, as well.

I grew up in and just outside Ft. Worth, so I'm no stranger to the stock show. I'm actually picking up a satin trio on Sunday! I'm excited about having color in my herd. A red buck, black doe and broken black doe. :)

Cool, then maybe you'd consider joining Texas Satins, the state Satin specialty club of Texas. They're hosting the NASS this year, and there will likely be alot of breeders who will be looking to sell some good rabbits at the show.

I can give you the contact info if you think that's something you would enjoy doing.

That would be wonderful! I'm brand new at this, though. Does that make a difference?

Emily":28hhj7hp said:
That would be wonderful! I'm brand new at this, though. Does that make a difference?

Are you kidding me? Not all of us were born into families which were established power players in the show rabbit world, and as such, we all had to start somewhere. I was about as wet behind the ears as I could have been when I attended my first show in the spring of 1978 at the ripe old age of 13. I was a one-man show and did pretty much everything by myself, and despite the fact that my rabbit was done on the show table rather quickly, I had so much fun being around all the breeders and their rabbits that I didn't want that day to end, and when it ultimately was over, I couldn't wait until the next show date rolled around.

Often times, the best thing a club can experience is that of a brand new breeder and exhibitor, and knowing the people in that club, I'll tell you right now that they'll be thrilled to have you join them. The contact info will be along shortly in your PM box.

Emily":mqhfvi5y said:
I'm brand new at this, though. Does that make a difference?

I just attended my first show- you can read about my experience in Show Rabbits, my post is titled "First Show Experience". Jump on in, the water's warm! :D

Latest posts

Back