Height of grow out cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
Hi all! Dh and I just realized we need more cages...funny how that happens. We have a current set up of four cages along our side fence, and I am planning on hanging the grow out cages in the chicken run. The girls can pick through the spilled feed and poop, and generally keep things clean. And hopefully not roost on top of the cages and poop on the buns. I might have to cover the tops with something. Anyway, I want the cages to be tall enough to put some resting platforms in and still have enough head room. What height should they be? Oh, the buns are American Chinchilla. Thanks all!!

I have AmChins too and I would say at least 10 inches high for shelves. I came up with this figure from measuring the highest point in the back when a bunny scrunches up to hop forward.

If you want to make an entire second floor platform then I would go higher to 18 or 20

Dood":2b7izzyl said:
I have AmChins too and I would say at least 10 inches high for shelves. I came up with this figure from measuring the highest point in the back when a bunny scrunches up to hop forward.

If you want to make an entire second floor platform then I would go higher to 18 or 20
Thanks! I am excited to make cages this time around. The guy we got the buns from said we could just divide the doe's cages in half and grow the kits in one half...but that just doesn't seem big enough. I can't imagine they would be too happy in there, and happy meat tastes better. In fact, two of our does have the tips of their ears chewed on (the rabbit guy shows them too, so I think that's why he sold us the nibbled on ones) and he said it happened in the cage.

Latest posts

Back