heating a water bottle

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm new to the cold and trying to find a solution for my water bottles freezing. Its not a problem normally as I can just take them in at night and place them back in the morning. However, I am leaving for for 5 days and need to keep enough water for them without freezing. I've seen heated water bottles but they're $20 a pop and I figure I'll need at least 2 per rabbit for 5 days so that adds up quickly!

My cages are about 2 feet tall so my thought is to place the water bottles on the connecting inner walls of the cage. Then place a heat lamp above them. Since they'll be outside I figure the cage won't get too hot for the bunnies and stay warm enough to keep the bottles from freezing.

Another though someone gave me was to use heat tape and wrap around the bottles. But, the directions for heat tape says to wrap your pipes in tin foil if they're PVC so it seems there is a possibility it may melt the bottles.

Has anyone tried either method? Any other thoughts to keeping water liquid for a short period of time?

I shine heat lamps, one per four cages i have tacked cages so i can shine it on the bottom corner of two and top corners of two, the bottles stay thawed pretty well. I did have one bunny get burnt so make sure not to let the lamp be to close to the cage.

Florida_Native":1mq8yyla said:
Its not a problem normally as I can just take them in at night and place them back in the morning.

So, your rabbits don't have water overnight? That may not be the best idea....I know my rabbits usually drink quite a bit at night. I don't live in a really cold area, so I don't have any ideas for you about this, but we do have many members that do. So, I am sure you will be getting plenty of good ideas soon!

I'd worry a lot about leaving my rabbits for almost a week without having them checked on. Especially when there's a good chance they'll have no water if it gets very cold. Leaving heat lamps unattended sounds a tad risky to me

Back