heat??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoping4better

Reaction score
I am considering raising rabbits either in colony or pastured. My land won't support it yet, but I'm trying to plan. How do you guys handle heat? It's been in the upper 80's here in TN and I can only imagine what Summer will bring.

I've read so much about heat sterility, miscarriages, death, etc. that it's got me really concerned. Confined operations seem to have some effective solutions, but what do you do on the pasture or in an open air colony?

PS - with your answer please let me know your breed, location (in general), and how many bunnies you have. This will help me identify what may work for me.

got trees? I kept a rather large number of rabbits in raised cages under a 'garage in a box' that was erected under trees. Plemty of air flow end to end when the ends were open, the soil floor helped moderate temps, trees kept wind from tearing things up, and reduced the effects of heavy rains. Had very few problems with flies, for the most part-- but then, I did use vanilla in their water..

The way too avoid heat sterility in your buck is too keep a young buck for those late summmer breedings.I always kept young 6. 7 month old bucks they will not be heat sterile.Raising Netherland Dwarfs and Holland Lops.located in southwestern Pa.we have 30 some rabbits.

Latest posts

Back