Heat lamps

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hutch81

Reaction score
Anybody us heatlamps in the cold, if so what do you use... I know they have heat lamps with or without light? What watt to use?<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:22 am __________<br /><br />

I don't use heat lamps.
i feel that the Dams should be quite able to create a nest
that provides proper comfort for their offspring.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I don't use them. My rabbitry is heated to 45 - 50 degrees in the winter, so no reason to consider using them.

I just use the brooder ones for Chickens (the red bulbs). I only have 2 in the rabbitry (10'x15') and they are hung in the center area. They are chained to the roof rafters so that even if they somehow came loose, they wouldn't end up on the ground. They are more for my comfort and for the water bottles.

I use heat lamps but use a low Walt light bulb. and i make sure mine are tied well so hopping to not start a fire.

I don't use them. I like to be able to trust that my does will build a nice nest. (You have to make sure they aren't too big) If they are having issues, I'd cull those out. Poor maternity skills and poor nesting building skills will really stink especially , if down the road,you have a barnful!

I don't use them either. I'd like some heat for my comfort, rabbits really don't need the extra heat. As for the does, they do it themselves or I add more wool to the box. If I am concerned, I bring the box in, but I still don't keep it warm. I have fur and wool breeds, I am deathly scared of starting a fire in my barn, which is pretty close to my house.

I only use them because most of my buns are lop eared, and I have had a case where the tips ears got into water and then froze to the wire. If I did not have elops and flops, I would not use heat lamps. I have gotten by without them in the past, but did put them in this years. Mine are also carefully wired to ceiling beam to prevent them from falling.

Back