Heat advisory

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
well, my poor little buns-- it has been very comfortable the last week-- I just got a heat advisory on my Weatherbug. too good to last, I guess...

Your post made me go check our weather forecast. Going to be hot here on Saturday for sure - 84 F. feeling like 104. I'm hot enough today... It's 77 F. feeling like 84.

I just came in from picking yet another bucket of those everlasting green and yellow beans. Wow, what a crop! They just keep coming.

I know what you mean heat index is 101 right now it is just so humid right now :x I cant wait until Monday only 70 degrees :pinkbunny:

Ha, this post made me check the weather earlier too. it's hitting the mid 90s right now. At noon it was still pretty nice in the rabbit shed, but now they've all got their frozen water bottles and a couple of extra fans. It's like July all over again. :(

MaggieJ":13kkle2u said:
I just came in from picking yet another bucket of those everlasting green and yellow beans. Wow, what a crop! They just keep coming.

I have been doing the same with my beans, this weather has got them multiplying almost as fast as the bunnies. :)

Yep here its 97...I got the AC and a fan going in my barn and still had to go get the frozen water bottles for the rabbits.

Wooooo....102 degrees today in Kentucky. Thankfully the rabbits are enjoying the A/C . No play time outside today with this kind of heat.
I'm not sure if they build them in other areas, but here in KY , there are storage building in many size ranges that are made out of insulated door panels. There not that costly, But they are great for rabbit barns. A small window A/C set on 75 keeps the entire building nice and cool. And in the winter, one of those coil like electric oil heaters set on low keeps the entire building warm around 78 degrees. Note: I am in KY, so colder places like Michigan might need to turn up the heater alittle more. Anway, You can have 1 single door put in, or double doors. And you can have any size windows put in that you want, and even a birdie on the roof to help curculate fresh air. They really are great buildings for animals.

FurBabies, 78 degrees is far warmer than rabbits need or like at any time of the year. May I ask why you heat their building to that temperature in winter? Rabbits do well even in temperatures below freezing.

I'm also wondering how you cool the rabbits in summer during power outages. One of our members was without power for four days after Irene... If his rabbits had been in a building relying only on AC for ventilation, he'd have had to evacuate them to somewhere else. Perhaps you already have a plan in place for such a scenario, but if not it is something you might want to consider.

It's 80-ish in my house, so near 90 outside. Definitely not fun for the bunnies. I've got both fans on high and everyone has one or two frozen bottles.

Having rabbits during the heat makes things so stressfull - I hate being away from home if I know it's going to be hot and I can't check on them - even if they do have fans on, frozen bottles, and plenty of water. I sure would love to have an A/C unit in the barn! I would definitely sacrifice summer shows (not that I go to many...just too hot!) for the priveledge of having an A/C unit and not having to stress!

Emily

One of our members was without power for four days after Irene... If his rabbits had been in a building relying only on AC for ventilation, he'd have had to evacuate them to somewhere else.

I don't know MaggieJ,
but you may have had me in mind.
My rabbits are in an unheated and none air-conditioned
enclosure. For lack of a better name, Barn.
The side door and front [Dutch Door can be opened for better air flow.
The way it was built air can circulate out through the top and sides.
I have been lucky and have had no heat problems so far this year
or for many years previously. I try to keep my numbers low and
almost never have every cage filled. I have 24 holes in the Rabbitry
and six holding pens/holes outside.
I have many trees covering most of the rabbitry, and must credit
that for some of the solution and respite from the extreme heat.
I hope everyone is fairing well in this situation.
It won't be long before we are combating the extremes of COLD
this winter. That is when the rabbit fare far better than I,
I am the one that risks frost bitten fingers while the rabbits
sit and eat snickering at the fool braving the cold temps to
fill their feeders and water bowls at least three times per day!
Who's the one suffering now! :mbounce: [Tis not I says the Giggling Herd]
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Yeah, I hate it too when the rabbits sit there and snicker! :roll:

I was thinking of you, Ottersatin, and I was sure you were not relying on air conditioning to keep your rabbits cool. It would be very difficult for anyone relying on AC to cool their rabbits during a four-day power outage.

Personally I wouldn't heat or cool more than 10F from outside temps. Otherwise you have a good chance of losing your entire herd or whatever animal should something like a power outage happen or we just had our ac unit get blocked by the grass from how frequently the person mowed the lawn with no bag this year. It took days to have someone out to determine the problem and get the hoses apart to clean them during temps over 100F. I thought for sure we'd have dead birds going from 68-76F to 90-105F. We did lose one several days after the ac was fixed to what appeared to be a stroke which may be connected to the stress from the heat. There's definitely no reason to heat very high in winter. I'd be happy if the temp just stayed above 0F. The rabbits reproduce fine in that and hardly seem to notice it's that cold. Above freezing would be nice because of watering issues but it's not possible in Iowa without setting up an elaborate ventilation system rather than vents directly to the outdoors and full insulation. You can't maintain 40F in most outbuildings when it's -30F. Ideally the rabbits would probably prefer 50-70F year round. They aren't so happy when it gets near 80 and are definitely uncomfortable when it gets around 90 and above.

Latest posts

Back