Head tilt?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashes

Reaction score
This morning all my rabbits seemed normal and healthy, when I came home from work 1 of the 11 week olds was dead and another was laying on its side motionless until one of the other rabbits got excited by my approach and stepped on it. Then it started flopping like a fish, its head remained completely tilted to the right and it couldn't get on its feet or straighten its head.
I have been reading about head tilt and possible causes, but everything seems to say it's a gradual progression before becoming so severe they can't stand. Neither this rabbit nor the one that was already dead had displayed any degree of head tilt or other symptoms.

What could cause such severe symptoms onsetting so quickly? And am I likely correct in thinking both rabbits were afflicted by the same issue?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Thank you for your reply. That was my first thought, but then I saw the other one dead and thought it might be related...

We have one with a head tilt but it was somewhat gradual. Like over 24-46 hours or so. It got injured when it escaped its cage (we fixed its escape point now).

Have you checked their ears for mites? That was the only thing I found that can cause it but it also would affect more than 1-2 in theory.

🤷‍♀️

We have one with a head tilt but it was somewhat gradual. Like over 24-46 hours or so. It got injured when it escaped its cage (we fixed its escape point now).

Have you checked their ears for mites? That was the only thing I found that can cause it but it also would affect more than 1-2 in theory.

🤷‍♀️
But also, our head tilt bunny can adjust her head straight if she’s cleaning, but it stays the rest of the time. It’s clearly neurological.

I've had two rabbits with Wry Neck, one of them is still alive. The first one (His grandma) got it when she was a year or two old. Whilber (My current one) got it when he was a week old. Both of them developed it over time though

Attachments

• IMG_20220424_174938824.jpg
    IMG_20220424_174938824.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 1
Thank y'all for your input. Yes, I check often for mites. Ears are all clear. Maybe this one did break its neck somehow and the other died from something unrelated - or maybe something scared them bad enough: heart attack for one and other jumped/fell/ran into something and broke neck?

Back