Hay...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
The woman I got my NZR buck from didn't feed hay. Consequentially, the new guy isn't eating it. Is there a way to convince him it's edible? Right now I'm feeding out of a bale of pasture grass and everyone seems to love it.

The roughage her buns got was all from her garden, and old loaves of bread... don't do that here. They get foraged greens, and greens from the store if I can afford it. Otherwise, it's hay, pellets, BOSS, oats and Manna Pro. I feel like he's holding out for something more tasty!

Mine wont eat hay, thus I don't waste time and money trying to feed it to them. They did eventually learn to eat horse hay cubes. Pellets should have enough fiber anyway, since it's mostly just hay pressed into a pellet.
Mine wouldn't eat any type of hay, either... :/

Sometimes when I change bales mine get persnickety too. I think it's just because it's a different smell, and they apparently aren't hungry enough to want to eat it. I'd say just give him time, and he'll get used to it probably.

I give hay when does are making nests...and to growing kits...and that's it. Mine waste it and don't eat it so why bother paying for it? If he doesn't like it...oh well. ;)

It looks like he's not much of an eater at this point... or he's just stressed. He's not eating even half a cup of pellets. Heck, I'm not even sure he's been eating them; the bowl looks like he's snuffled around in there but that's about it. I thought he may be off of his feed, but any greens I put in there he gobbles right up as soon as I leave.

This morning, his hay pile looks like he'd been playing in it, so that's a start. I figure I'll just leave it in there and he'll do what he wants with it.

Better than a third of my rabbits will not eat hay. Don't know if it is engrained in their DNA or what, but they just will not touch it.

The ones which will eat it, however, do so almost religiously and are anxiously waiting at the hay rack when I am about to put it into the hopper.

Moral of the story? It's a good source of fiber for them, but it's not something that a rabbit absolutely cannot live without.

That's good to learn for me- I think I read a lot of the house rabbit society stuff about hay being the most important thing.... so I get overly worried about hay- like I panic if I see I'm running low.

SatinsRule":27fggubd said:
Better than a third of my rabbits will not eat hay. Don't know if it is engrained in their DNA or what, but they just will not touch it.

The ones which will eat it, however, do so almost religiously and are anxiously waiting at the hay rack when I am about to put it into the hopper.

Moral of the story? It's a good source of fiber for them, but it's not something that a rabbit absolutely cannot live without.

Yeah... it seems like he just doesn't know what to do with it. Also seems like he's just freakishly picky. He won't touch bananas (they're a huge hit over here, and seem to be the only thing keeping wool block at bay), was barely eating his pellets, and when I give everyone their greens he gets excited, but then just nibbles on the softest and most succulent portions (leaves all the stems or thick veins alone) :shrug:

I did notice this morning that all of his pellets were gone and I didn't see any on the ground so I'm thinking he finally caved and ate them when he got hungry.

Anyways, I'll keep offering it and he'll do what he's gonna do! If nothing else, it's useful even if he's just playing with it.

Back