Hay & Feed Questions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driven

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this forum. I don't have any rabbits at the moment, but have had them in the past and love them. I am moving into a new house soon and will be starting up a very small rabbitry of mini rexes. I have read books and a lot of information online about the proper care for rabbits and have found a lot of information to be confusing because some sources say one thing and others say another. So I am just trying to get these things straight. Thank you in advance for your help!

1. Is it true that hay can be stored for a long period of time up to a whole year if kept in a cool, dry, dark place? I read that this is true but then I read somewhere else that hay loses nutrients during storage and should only be bought in small amounts because of this? I want to save money by purchasing a bale at a time instead of the small bags from the pet stores. So how long can I keep a bale of hay for before it is no longer good to feed to my rabbits? And what is the best way to store it?

2. Is it true that pellets only last up to 3 months? Could they last longer if kept in a tightly sealed bin? If so, how long?

3. Some people say to feed a cup of fresh vegetables every day per every 4 lbs while other people say rabbits don't need vegetables? And how much fruit can I feed or should fruit be more of a treat than part of their daily diet?

4. One website said that Romain lettuce, kale, and Brussel sprouts should never be fed because they can cause enteritis while other websites and books say that those veggies are good for them?? 

:bunnyhop:

I free feed hay to my rabbits. I bought a bale.. Right now i only have two rabbits. I cant see a bale lasting more than 4 months. but i also like hay for use as bedding. so i guess it depends on how much hay you are going to use and how many rabbits you have. My rabbits don't like to eat the bags of hay that come from the store. They prefer the baled hay. fruits and veggies can be given in small amounts. and introduced very slowly. too much can give them the runs. my rabbits are 7 months old and about 7lbs. they share a cage. I put about half a cup of pellets in their feeder in the morning and the same in the evening. they can eat as much hay as they want in between. dandelions and oats seem to be their favorite snack. but they are only given a little bit a few times a week. Everyone pretty much has their own way of caring for their rabbits.

Driven":15hkzg2u said:
1. Is it true that hay can be stored for a long period of time up to a whole year if kept in a cool, dry, dark place?
Yes, it will loose some nutrients but can still be fed up to a year later. Hay is mainly fed for roughage and not nutrients unless you plan to feed a natural diet without pellets, fresh hay is not critical.

2. Is it true that pellets only last up to 3 months? Could they last longer if kept in a tightly sealed bin? If so, how long?
since pellets are their main diet they should be fresh but freezing them will prolong their life for several months.

3. Some people say to feed a cup of fresh vegetables every day per every 4 lbs while other people say rabbits don't need vegetables? And how much fruit can I feed or should fruit be more of a treat than part of their daily diet?
VEGETABLES should be a treat but my rabbits live on grasses, herbs, shrubs, trees and "weeds" in the summertime and do great :) Fruits should also be treats as the sugar can cause diahhrea

4. One website said that Romain lettuce, kale, and Brussel sprouts should never be fed because they can cause enteritis while other websites and books say that those veggies are good for them?? 
a rabbit must slowly be introduced to these foods, any new food actually, to avoid enteritis but once their digestive tracts have adapted to them fresh greens (NOT just vegetables) can be their main diet.

1. For hay - in most places you can only buy hay during a short time of the year - someone is storing it somewhere, so even if you buy a bale at a time, chances are that once out of haying season, you will be buying stored hay.

2. I have read that some breeders won't use pellets more than 60 days old, some 90, and some don't really say. Our goal is 2-3 months max, just for freshness and to feed it before it loses nutrients. We bought (I believe) a 30 gallon, or was it 50??, trash can and it holds two 50 pound bags of pellets at a time. I wish I could remember which...hopefully someone else could tell you. In any case, we keep it tightly closed, and it still seems to look and smell the same as when we bought it at the end of February.

3. If you are feeding a good pellet ration, then the rabbits don't NEED vegetables. A lot of commercial breeders just feed pellets, which are hay based. Apparently it saves cleanup and simplifies operations. Others will tell you that hay is essential, as it provides a longer fiber, which greatly aids digestion. Feeding greens is really something that's optional, based on what every breeder decides to do. We provide apple/pear branches for the buns to chew on, herbs for a variety of health support reasons, and free feed hay. I am looking into things that we can grow to supplement and save on food costs a bit, since we feed organic pellets at $32-35/50 pound bag, but even then I'm not sure that I want to sacrifice growth rates by feeding greens. For now it would be to supplement their hay and provide treats. There are plenty of other people who choose a totally natural diet, and there is actually a section for natural feeding on this forum that is great reading!

4. Dood said it!

Thank you so much everyone for your awesome replies!

And can you tell me if these are good pellet brands: Producers Pride, Purina, Manna Pro?

I am looking for the best quality food at the best price so what is the best? And some of them say that you can feed the same pellets to babies and adults? Is that really ok? I know I am supposed to feed alfalfa hay to babies and pregnant and nursing does and then it gets changed to Timothy or another type of hay.

Thanks!!!

good pellets are the ones your rabbits will eat and thrive on that you can get readily.

all my rabbits get the same 16% pellet feed - I used to buy 18% for the young and moms but I didn't see a marked difference in weight or condition between the two.

I use Manna Pro because it's what I can get readily and it agrees with my rabbits.

Best is such a relative term - it starts first with deciding if you want GMO-free, natural, organic, or conventional. From there it seems to depend on whether you're feeding only pellets, or a combination diet, and also what your rabbits need based on their purpose.

I'm new to rabbits too, and I've read that some people like 18% protein for breeding stock and grow outs, and also that a house rabbit might only need 15% protein. Then there's anything in between lol. I personally feed organic pellets, and could only find ONE organic pellet that I liked the ingredient list, it has 17% protein and my rabbits seem to be thriving on it, and just lately people have been telling me that I'm not feeding enough pellets. However, since my rabbits are still growing at a good rate and maintaining very good condition, I am starting to wonder if the great feed to weight ratio is because the pellets are made almost completely from whole foods and natural vitamins and minerals.

It does seem to me that many (most?) people end up choosing something by default because it's the best/cheapest available in their area, depending on their criteria. I ended up at 17% protein by default because I haven't seen a single other pellet on the market that I would feel comfortable feeding my rabbits. There are SO many variables, I hope you can find a feed that you are happy with and your rabbits do well on!

I have used both Producer's Pride and Manna Pro in the past and not had any problems with either feed.

Latest posts

Back