Hay cuttings

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert Rose Rabbits

Reaction score
I'm looking into switching over to baled hay for my base feed as pellets out here are just expensive and I don't particularly like Purina for any type of animal feed. We have a few local growers so getting hay isn't too difficult. However, do I need to worry about which cuttings I'm getting? I have the chance to get some 2nd cutting timothy grass/alfalfa bales for about $10 a bale.

There's also a feed store that grows their own alfalfa and makes compressed cubes on site. With that, I can get 80# for $15. I purchased some bulk cubes to see what they'd do with them and no one seems to understand that it's food. They just play with it. :? I really like the idea of the cubes because of the lack of waste.

In September, I'm getting a couple of Angoras, and I've read that there's some concern about the binding agents potentially used in cubes aiding and abetting wool block. Is this something to be concerned with? The cubes I'm looking at are just compressed. However, they're about an hour's drive away, and during the winter it may not be possible to get out there. In that case, if I didn't have enough to get through the winter, I'd have to get it from another supplier.

Ugh... feeding rabbits is so complicated but so simple! Grrrr.

I believe 2nd cut hay is more nutritious than first cutting, may also be more leafy. Either way, make sure you check the bales, you don't want nothing but stems.
Mine took about a year to eat the cubes, they love them now. Kits take a bit to learn to eat them as well, but eventually they get it. Haven't had any issues with blockages yet.
Only small store bales are about $20 and only a 10# bale. Far better to get direct from a hay guy in my opinion.

Good hay is good hay, first cutting just means it is the first time that year a field is cut, many fields get two cuttings off a field, places with a longer growing season get 3 or 4. If a hay grower waits to long to cut a field then the hay can be stemmy.

They eventually get the idea the cubes are nummy food, I've never had an issue with binders and wool block. I have used grass hay and alfalfa cubes in the past, this year I'll be using timothy grass/alfalfa hay as that is what I have in the barn for the horses. Cubes have less waste but are more expensive.

Feeding has lots of choices but isn't so complicated :)

You're also in the Reno area, right? Which feed store does their own alfalfa? I think I want to stick with loose hay rather than the cubes, but I always like to know about the local options.

And do share if you hear about any organic alfalfa around. Someone put up Craigslist ads last year for organic down in Minden, but of course by the time I got my rabbits, I wasn't seeing those ads any more.

-Jessi

JessiL":1f6yp0kw said:
You're also in the Reno area, right? Which feed store does their own alfalfa? I think I want to stick with loose hay rather than the cubes, but I always like to know about the local options.

And do share if you hear about any organic alfalfa around. Someone put up Craigslist ads last year for organic down in Minden, but of course by the time I got my rabbits, I wasn't seeing those ads any more.

-Jessi

I'll have to take a look through my bookmarks and see. I believe they're based out of Fallon and pretty sure they raise their own alfalfa, but admittedly, my eyes were barely open when I was reading the website. I know that Murray Ranch in Pleasant Valley is selling a bunch of stuff ranging from $10 a bale to $18 depending on what you're getting. They have an alfalfa/grass mix going for $10, a bunch of different grasses (including timothy) and alfalfa but I don't remember the prices on those.

Back