Have you ever been sold the wrong rabbit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the first year raising rabbits I had an Myxo outbreak, once I realised what was going on I seperated the survivers and had a rabbit in every room. Only my little black Fury, living in my kitchen, made it. Kept her indoors until spring, bought a second "doe" early in the year and when "she" managed to break out of her cage I was amazed how well those two got along. A month later I had 5 more rabbits in my kitchen.
Very inconvinient situation They all moved out into the hutches once it was warm enough, Fury got retired from breeding at 7 and is a happy, 11yo outdoor bunny now.
I kept the buck since I needed one anyway, his heart failed after a fox attack 4 years later.

Missexing is fairly common, but you have quite a string of bad luck there :D. When I sex my kits I always get a second opinion (there are two other breeders in my road), and I also watch them closly, I let mine out of the hutches for grazing - if a doeling runs down the ramp, does a short digging burst making a fist sized hole, and hopping away - high time to check genders again, that's something bucks do, when does dig it's a tunnel.

Always inspect and double check. I have been sold the wrong rabbit, 4 times. The first 3 times were a trio I ordered online.

I order 3 silver foxes. I got 2 shaded agoutis, one of those with the steel gene, and an American Chinchilla with the wideband gene. The last was a pet store purchase they insisted was a girl, turned out to be a buck.

So I sex every rabbit myself, even double checking the genders every week, and then again before anyone takes a rabbit. I flip that rabbit over, sex it with the buyer watching, and confirming I am correct.

Have not had any returned yet.

Yes i did have a doe that turned out to be a buck in the first round of buying rabbits for breeding. He was indeed very good with the doe that was a doe but he sprayed so that messyness got him a freezer ticket.
Now knowing a little more about sexing rabbits and about what i want to check confirmation wise i'll flip them over to check all of that, and not just all is clean and healthy looking.
2 i bought without checking where correct gender and healthy, but to whawha panic at that time (not handled in a while) to want the struggle, pens where big enough, so transport crate in there and in they hopped themselves.

Mistakes happen and it's easier than one would expect to mistake genders in young rabbits. Still, if it's me buying a rabbit, I'm gonna check the gender myself and not take anyone else's word on it. Then if it's wrong, I can blame myself as well.

Latest posts

Back