Harlequins for fur?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WallTenter

Reaction score
I am just in love with the harlequin markings, and think some lilac, blue and chocolate japanese would make beautiful blankets. However, has anyone raised them for fur? The furs on the starting rabbits I got are terrible :/. I have bred the doe to a NZ/Pal buck his fur was much nicer (as with everything else on him - depth, width, etc.) and am raising these kits as meat kits but I thought if there was a nice doe with her sire's depth, width and fur I'd keep her and breed her back to a Harlequin buck and see what I get. Actually, these crossbred marked kits have just as good of markings as the parents :/.

There are other fur breeds that have the harlequin markings, depending on what texture fur you want.

best coats I've ever gotten off a rabbit is from Biscuits kits bred to harlequin buck new zealand buck. She's part harlequin and about 1/2 her kits came out with harlequin coats.

I know there are other breeds with Harlequin markings but I am interested in the breed itself. I will wait and see how this NZ cross goes if it improves the fur and I can breed that through I might breed back to purebred but try to keep the denser fur, still flyback.

WallTenter":8xd7dftz said:
I know there are other breeds with Harlequin markings but I am interested in the breed itself. I will wait and see how this NZ cross goes if it improves the fur and I can breed that through I might breed back to purebred but try to keep the denser fur, still flyback.

Ok, just curious. Just wondering why sometimes people try to create things that already exist, why struggle with it when you can get that color in whatever texture you like. But I realize too that people sometimes like to work with what they have, or like to experiment, or what ever. It's all good.

sky, while we're on that, I've heard that there are harlequin-marked Rex, but that they're rare. What can you tell me about them (or other tricolors, for that matter)? I'm not looking to show them--mainly interested in the fur.

trinityoaks":15fu760y said:
sky, while we're on that, I've heard that there are harlequin-marked Rex, but that they're rare. What can you tell me about them (or other tricolors, for that matter)? I'm not looking to show them--mainly interested in the fur.

Because harlies aren't showable, most times you find them in Rex they will be tri colors. I know of two people personally that have the tri color gene in their herd. Jess Decker from NY and the Clawson Family in Ohio. And I have mini rex that carry tricolor.

Breeding in NZ will improve body type as well, the lady I'm talking to about hers is doing some crossing to improve her lines. She figures since she has them in the barn she should do them justice

are there harli satins? or harli satin angoras?!?! I would freak out if I could find one!

-HRanchito":2v59a0ee said:
are there harli satins? or harli satin angoras?!?! I would freak out if I could find one!

That is a good question. That would be an interesting color project. Got spare room?

Latest posts

Back