hanging nestbox on side of the cage?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artios

Reaction score
Hi all, got a question. Does anyone have experience with hanging the nestbox on the outside of the doe's cage? On the side? I've got stackers and can't do a nestbox hanging from the floor, but if I can preserve some of the floor space inside the cage that'd be great. I'm getting ready to make some nestboxes and can customize the design to fit my cages. I'm thinking the cutout on the side cage panel that would be needed for the nestbox opening could have an improvised wire door to place over it when the nestbox isn't in use and is not hanging.

What size nestbox would be good for mini rex? I'm thinking I'll be using plywood for the sides and top, and 1/2x1/2" wire on the bottom. I can slip in a close-fitting cardboard insert into the bottom of the box before filling with shavings and hay/straw. My thoughts are that this would be easier to clean out and no wood bottom to soak up waste/blood/urine.

Ideas? Tips? Thanks!

moonkitten has done so.

You have to watch that the cage can't tip.

She's made some but I"m not sure any more where the link to that is.

Thanks for the help and ideas. The all wire is an interesting one, and I'll have to give it some more thought. Would certainly be easy to put together and then scrub down when it needs it. Would be very lightweight as well. Hmm, I have some wire lying around..

Thanks for the link, it's right along the lines of what I was looking for.

Back