Hang on nest box dimensions

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Im trying to plan out the dimensions for a hang-on nest box. Im not sure how big to make the opening nor what length it should be. These will be for Standard Satins 7-8lbs.

20180227_195313.jpg
This is my basic idea, the boxes I will either add hooks or screw to the cage sides, but the dimensions just aren't coming together for me.

I have meat mutts mostly nzw my nest boxes are mounted to my cages and set on a 2" steel angle that spans the two brackets Mounted to my garage. My boxes are if I remember right 14" x 15" x 12" tall with a 4 1/2" x 5" hole. Then I have some wire j clipped above the hole so I can shut my does out when they don't have litter's. Then I hinged a 5" x 5" peep hole on the back wall of my box with a hook on it. I just love my set up but I also made all of it from the cages to the brackets to the boxes so maybe I'm just full of myself :lol: I will try to attach a picture of mine

Attachments

• IMG_20150507_112227_083.jpg
    IMG_20150507_112227_083.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,883
I have had similar setups, I think my doors were a little wider, but that was probably not important, my nests just had a bracket they hung on, and I took them off when not in use... My nests hung lower, and the hole was nearer the top of the nest box [to help keep kits from being drug out]. -- I like that setup- frees up cage space...

Shea":4yc76kzj said:
That is what I was thinking. The kits would have to climb to get out, but could "fall" in. 10" wide and say 15" long? That is standard size I think?

on the cage side of the nest box-, I had to extend the front of the box up [instead of down like your drawing] and hook the nest box to the top of the cage- because the weight of the nest box was too much when I fastened it low on the cage side. It would bend the wire on the cage side out, making a mess. <br /><br /> -- Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:39 am -- <br /><br />
Shea":4yc76kzj said:
10" wide and say 15" long? That is standard size I think?
For my NZ ,-I used 11 x 15 inside measurements-and it was fine- so your dimensions should also be fine...

My hutch has plywood sides, so I will prolly just screw it on. <br /><br /> -- Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:36 pm -- <br /><br /> Well ai hot the nest boxes built and attached. And you think by now I would know better then to rush a wood working poject. :oops: I forgot to factor in using 1x10's for the side panels so my interior dimensions are 10x13.

20180318_151912.jpg
20180318_151932.jpg
20180318_161056.jpg

It may be a week early for my girls to have their nest boxes but they enthusiasticly stripped every leftover piece of hay from their cages and filled those boxes already. :D

Latest posts

Back