half aborted litter: t3

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
T3 one of our foundation does threw 10 this am; 5 are fine, two doa and three clear abortions. This is what another rabbit farmer has experienced all winter with the feed we are both getting. I should say we were getting---new feed arrived yesterday...

Weird, what could cause this? A nutrient defeciency or more likely a toxin? Or a disease? (I am not trying to imply that Cereshill has diseased stock, just thinking about that article on uterine cancer causing infertility earlier this year...the links are not always obvious)

this website has a course that has some intresting information about rabbit nutrion and how it effects does ect... My first email I got from it mentioned why does lose litters. http://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/free-r ... ni-course/
here an intresting excert from an email I got that might help you
". The reason why this occurs is because fat cells, called
adipocytes, produce a hormone that signals to the brain the amount
of fat storage the rabbit has. The more adipocytes (and fat) a
rabbit has the more of this hormone gets made which then sends a
stronger signal to the brain.

In response to this signal the brain will suppress the appetite of
the Doe...not good!

2. A low appetite during pregnancy prevents the Doe from
getting the calories, protein, and nutrients needed for her growing
kits. This leads to an increase in still-births.

3. A reduced appetite during lactation also limits milk production
and increases the mortality rate of kits.

These scenarios will cause a major loss of body reserves (fat,
protein, minerals, and other nutrients) of the Doe and will
directly reduce her reproductive lifespan."
also I would use purina rabbit chow or maybe mana pro but I have never met a breeder that uses mana pro rabbit chow so I don't know how well it works.

well, I suppose that is better than there being some kind of toxin...Glad you have it sorted out, hope you get a bunch of popples on the new feed!

16? Wow. Well consider it a blessing I guess, as she probably wouldn't be able to care for 16. 12 sounds good.

cereshill":3qpvzm66 said:
Kate just popped out 12 live---and four aborted fetuses... Still have three more to deliver.

When say "aborted fetuses" do you mean not full term? As in, maybe the result of a test breed? just asking questions, trying to learn all I can.....

cereshill":2scje3in said:
I don't test breed proven does.... I palpate first timers and test breed them (rarely)...

Ok, so obviously THAT isn't the issue....hmm, this is interesting...Did you take any pics of the kits? I would love to see them for comparison sake.

A dietary supply of vitamins A, D, and E is necessary. Bacteria in the gut synthesize B vitamins and vitamin K in adequate quantities; thus, dietary supplements are unnecessary. Disease and stress may increase the daily vitamin requirements. Feed preparation and storage must be done in a manner that will reduce losses from oxidation, which destroys vitamins A and E more readily than other vitamins. Diets containing ≥30% of alfalfa meal generally provide sufficient vitamin A. Levels of vitamin A in the diet must be >5,000 IU/kg and <75,000 IU/kg. Levels out of this range may cause abortion, resorbed litters, and fetal hydrocephalus. Vitamin E deficiency has been associated with infertility, muscular dystrophy, and fetal and neonatal death.

This is from Merck. Here is the entire article link: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171315.htm

Latest posts

Back