Hair Pulled, buuuut

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In books and pics, they always make it look like the rabbit pulls a neat little clump of fur, places it deep in the nest box, and that's it.

My Cali doe has a neat little clump of fur deep in the nest box. And EVERYWHERE else. It looks like she beat the crap out of another rabbit in there last night. There is enough fur to deliver kits on half the cage. Is this common? Or do I need to be on extra guard for kits on the wire?

My does always pull another rabbits worth amount of fur before they kindle. MOST of it ends up in the nest, and she does just fine. If you're worried I would pick up the fur on the wire (making sure it's not peed, or pooed on,) and just toss it into the nest. She's likely to just readjust the fur to her liking.

HansenHomestead":3dumtt6j said:
If you're worried I would pick up the fur on the wire (making sure it's not peed, or pooed on,) and just toss it into the nest. She's likely to just readjust the fur to her liking.

That's a sensible suggestion. :) I think my lovely and gracious wife is wondering why I wasn't this nervous the last time SHE was pregnant. :lol:

HA! :lol: My husband, and I were just comparing rabbit birth to human birth last night.

He was like, it seems like such a labor to have to pull your own fur out, while in the middle of having contractions. I wonder what it would be like of "we" had to go through that. I just looked at him, and said for 1 if you were a male rabbit you would have only one job in this whole process. "Find the hole" I however would have to deal with many tiny feet whacking around at my insides, and I am not sure how a doe feels, but when I was in labor the LAST thing I would worry about is plucking out my own hair.

This is why we are human. I get to pluck out YOUR hair! :lol:

Haha:). Funny conversation here! Mine always pull a ton of hair,
and so far the whole thing continues to amaze me. As human moms we do "nest" too, but thank goodness it's before labor and usually not during! I would probably be like "love ya kid but not enough to make you a nice nest", lol.......momma rabbits are awsome!

HansenHomestead":3c9g5s7w said:
...1 if you were a male rabbit you would have only one job in this whole process. "Find the hole"...

Hahahahahaaaaa! To our credit, those human males who can call themselves "men" hang around after to help. Unlike bucks who, if they are even around, would just be like, "so, you ready for another round yet, or what?" :roll:

I usually find fur on the slant boards under the cages- and in watching my does, they often pull fur while they are outside of the nest and hop in there when they have a good mouthful. Just gather it up like Hansen said and stick it in the box. :)

SoDak Thriver":1j8u8wxb said:
I think my lovely and gracious wife is wondering why I wasn't this nervous the last time SHE was pregnant. :lol:

:lol: Because you are so certain of her womanly powers that you knew she would do spectacular? :p

HansenHomestead":1j8u8wxb said:
He was like, it seems like such a labor to have to pull your own fur out, while in the middle of having contractions. I wonder what it would be like of "we" had to go through that.

"We" would be pulling our husband's hair out. :twisted:

HansenHomestead":1j8u8wxb said:
This is why we are human. I get to pluck out YOUR hair! :lol:

Oh, you said that already! :roll:

SoDak Thriver":1j8u8wxb said:
Hahahahahaaaaa! To our credit, those human males who can call themselves "men" hang around after to help. Unlike bucks who, if they are even around, would just be like, "so, you ready for another round yet, or what?" :roll:

:rotfl: Yeah, at least human males show a little restraint. They are probably so in awe- and not a little scared by!- the amazing power of a birthing woman that they don't dare put a toe out of line for a while. ;)

Latest posts

Back