Hair Loss

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
I have a mixed doe that has 6 kits that are about 4 weeks old. I noticed about 3 days ago that she had lost fur between her chin and dewlap. After looking more closely I could see that there was also a sore there and after reading on Barbi Browns site the condition sounded like Pseudomonas so I started treating with vinegar. Now the sore is just about gone and the skin color is not as red but the hair loss has gotten worse and goes up her right side of her neck and around the back of her head. The recommendation was to use the vinegar for 1 week twice a day. I have quarantined her and her kits to a air conditioned room.
As some of you might know I was having trouble with heat and have just lately installed some fans to help.
Do you all think it could have been caused by the heat, that is what I am thinking. If so I think I have that solved.
She also had a habit of laying her head on the side of the feeder which is a sharp edge when she was laying down.
I have been treating her with vinegar for 3 days twice a day and it seems to be burning pretty bad. She is getting to be a handful. She has always been a sweet doe except for about the last week of her pregnancy when she acted like she might nip. I will give her that, but this morning she acted like she has had enough of me doctoring her.
Should I switch over to something else that might be more soothing than vinegar? I will attach a couple of pictures sorry about the quality.

Thanks,
Tommy

Attachments

• IMG_11741.JPG
    IMG_11741.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_11731.JPG
    IMG_11731.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 399
Well, if the vinegar is obviously hurting her I would stop using it. If the sore is healed and, other than hair loss, it all looks good, I would consider that it *may* be fur mites....

Ivermectin paste, the equine formula, a small "green pea" sized glob now and then again in 10 days....

Latest posts

Back