Hair loss between shoulders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek.blair

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Silver Fox doe that has a strange patch of sparse hair between her shoulders right behind her ears. At first I though it was from the buck pulling a bit out from breeding, but it hasn't started to grow back and is slowly getting bigger. Her ears are totally clear so I wasn't thinking it could be mites, but I have never dealt with mites before so someone correct me if I am wrong. Also the skin looks normal and healthy and not flaky as I would expect with mites. any suggestions?
Claudia bare spot 01.JPG
Claudia bare spot 03.JPG

It is probably fur mites. I have had a couple cases here, and simply applied a bit of food grade diatomaceous earth to treat. Put about 1/2 teaspoon (or less) in your hand and wipe the rabbit from the forehead and down the body, concentrating mainly on the shoulder area. Be careful not to get it in the eyes.

MamaSheepdog":2s2xzvkz said:
It is probably fur mites. I have had a couple cases here, and simply applied a bit of food grade diatomaceous earth to treat. Put about 1/2 teaspoon (or less) in your hand and wipe the rabbit from the forehead and down the body, concentrating mainly on the shoulder area. Be careful not to get it in the eyes.
OK, I will have to see if I can find some DE. We will be going to the "big city" on Saturday so I should be able to find some there if I can't find any locally. ;)

ek.blair":233ti0ii said:
MamaSheepdog":233ti0ii said:
OK, I will have to see if I can find some DE. We will be going to the "big city" on Saturday so I should be able to find some there if I can't find any locally. ;)

Feed stores often carry it. My local TSC has it. I had a rabbit with a bald patch like that once. I dusted her (and all the rest of the bunnies, just in case) with DE. It went away and never came back.

I can't prove it was mites, or that the DE cured it, but I can say that the procedure certainly didn't harm the rabbits, it wasn't expensive, and I will certainly use it again if I see another suspicious bald patch.

I was careful to remove the rabbits from my crowded rabbitry building for the actual dusting, so that there wouldn't be too much air born dust for the rabbits to breath in.

Zass":1xuykw42 said:
I dusted her (and all the rest of the bunnies, just in case) with DE. It went away and never came back.

That has been my experience, too. One application is all I have needed, and fur growth within a week.

ek.blair":1xuykw42 said:
I will have to see if I can find some DE.

Make sure it is food grade. The type used for pools has been heat treated and is poisonous.

Zass":212fzgei said:
Feed stores often carry it. My local TSC has it. I had a rabbit with a bald patch like that once. I dusted her (and all the rest of the bunnies, just in case) with DE. It went away and never came back.

I can't prove it was mites, or that the DE cured it, but I can say that the procedure certainly didn't harm the rabbits, it wasn't expensive, and I will certainly use it again if I see another suspicious bald patch.

I was careful to remove the rabbits from my crowded rabbitry building for the actual dusting, so that there wouldn't be too much air born dust for the rabbits to breath in.
We don't have any "chain" feed stores and only a small Co-op in my local town, but the store we have in Fairbanks should carry it.

And I will be sure to find the food grade, MSD! Thank you :D

Back