Guess how I woke up today

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Just thought I would share a little story. This morning I woke up at 4 AM to find our 90lb German Shepherd burrowing under the blankets of the bed, worming his way up between my husband and I. A storm had rolled in and the thunder was too scary for him to handle alone on the floor I guess. He was crying and literally shaking with fear. Poor guy.

I got up to use the bathroom and the dog had to follow me, burst through the bathroom door, jump into the bathtub, and hide behind the shower curtain. And there he stayed until I got up again at 8. :lol:

Too funny...sounds like my beagle...storm rolls in...she tries to get on top of my head while I am sleeping....and she is a 40 pounder...fat little hound

I do not encourage it...she has gotten this way as she has gotten older...and I think the fact that we live in a camper...and the sound on the roof from the rain is really loud...and the wind rocks the camper...limbs falling on the roof etc....kinda makes me a wee bit jumpy...

LOL cute story! Thundershirts are supposed to help. my bitch crawls under the covers with me every night and occassionally my male does. I think they just love to be in a dark enclosed area.

yeah, I don't encourage it either. not sure where that came from. He's about 6 years old, and we've only had him for a couple of months. Hard to say what may have led him to being so fearful of loud noises. He was bad around 4th of July too. hid under the coffee table all night. I know it's a little mean to laugh at his fear, but there's just something about a big tough guy German Shepherd being afraid of a little storm I can't help but smile at.

Our smaller, younger female dog and our human daughter didn't even notice the thunder.

I'd look for a recording od thunderstorm sounds, firework sounds, even the 1812 Overture done with cannons-- Some dogs do seem to react either tot he drop in a barometric pressure, or the low frequency sounds. Some one I know started tossing a ball for her fearful dog during storms-- the dog eventually started bringing her the ball when a storm rolled in-- he looked forward to it-- Make the storm sounds a cause for happiness---

ladysown":3br762zo said:
might not be the noise... could also be the static in the air. Sitting in the bathtub helps with that.

Huh, I've never heard of that. makes sense though. My mother-in-law's Lab sits in the tub during a storm too.

There was ahound at the farm I lived on, she was afraid of storms too, and the only place she felt safe was the tub. Weird. We began using a small childs chewable gravol to help calm her down.

Back