Growling Doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I cull heavily for temperament, so growling is a huge issue.

She's 7 or 8 months old. Dilute and rew carrying tort meat-mutt. (fun colors, I play a lot with mutt colors cause most meat breeds don't come in enough)

It's this one:
image.php

1/2 blue American (sneaky tort in that line, eh?) and then 1/4 Flemish 1/4 NZW...probably.

I didn't breed her back right away cause she was only 6 months and had that surprise litter the second day of my owning her (I didn't give her a nestbox due to being unaware of her pregnancy and lost the litter). Apparently it was her second litter lost, so she would have been about 16 weeks the first time she'd been impregnated.

Those ages are awfully young for breeding a doe of that makeup
(IMO anyway), I'd prefer starting those breeds at at least 7 months, so I wanted to let her to at least finish growing before I tried a breeding.

Having a personality issue now.
She isn't biting me, but I dunno, I usually cull anything that growls. (consequently, my current brood does are all total sweethearts)
I'm wondering if it's her age and hormones more than her personality though, because she allows me to pet her and obviously isn't afraid of me.

Do grumpy junior does settle down after litter or two?

My other does were just always nice from the start.

I've got two grumpy first timers right now, with litters on the ground and they're settling down nicely with handling. These are does I've had from about three months on and they've always been a bit cranky but the only way I could be happier with them right now is if they each had a twin sister.

It's hit or miss. I had a champagne d'argent who was very vocal and charged her own kits when they started coming out of the box. She settled after 1 litter and raised the rest without issue. I also had a mini rex we raised from 8weeks go psycho rabbit on me at 4months and never improve.

:roll: Since she is meat, I would breed her. Sounds like she is a frustrated grumpy teenager . I think since she was bred before she is in a cycle of adulthood. That bell has been rung for her.

I would breed her too.

In commercial meat lines they strive for does who are ready and willing to breed at a young age. OAF starts checking her girls at around four months. If they have good color, she puts them with a buck. If the doe refuses, she waits a couple of weeks and tries again.

The general rule seems to be if they have reached 75% of their adult weight, and are willing, they are good to go.

Many members here have found that does that are bred "early" have better instincts and larger litters than those that are bred when mature.

Latest posts

Back