Grow Out Wieghts, 11 wks, feed to increase growth?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard & Tresa

Reaction score
Hello,

We are working on our first kindle (now 11+ weeks). After harvesting 3 out of 9 total, our average dressed weights (not including Liver, kidneys or heart) was 3lbs, 4 oz.

I've read here that average dressed weights are more like 4lbs to 4.5lbs...

Rabbit Info:

Buck: Papered NZR . Not sure of his weight, but he's pretty big.

Doe: Non-Papered NZW. She came from a great line of large NZW (NZW only rabbitry), producing does and she was an incredible nest builder and great mother. We bred her at 6 months and she produced 11 kits. One on the wire and one (a really small runt) died. The rest were nursed until 5wks.

We placed the bunnies in cages of 2~3 each.

Feed: 18% pellets free fed. Free fed Alfalfa hay and occasional greens from our garden. Also occasional Barley Fodder.

After reading more here, I decided to try feeding 1-Tblsp Oatmeal (non-instant), 1-Tblsp BOSS and 1-Tbsp Calf Manna every morning in an effort to get them to grow faster.

I've read that reducing or eliminating their hay would get them to eat more of the higher protein pellets. We're not in a rush to harvest and we would really like at least 3 roasters but would like the 3 we started feeding the special food to grow faster to harvest sooner.

Is this a good idea? Are there any other suggestions or ideas.

All input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Richard & Tresa

That's not bad finished weights. My 5 1/2lb live weight kits average a 3lb carcass at 11-12 weeks depending on time of year.

Joe

A digital fish scale is inexpensive and pretty darned accurate. If you get one
make sure it has the "tare" feature.

Reducing their hay, "may" run the risk of digestive problems. The harder
you push the weight-gain the closer you come to that proverbial edge of
beginning to have problems.

Certain families within a breed have been selectively bred for faster weight gains.
The reds, I know little about. I've crossed Cal Bucks onto my commercial NZW
does for an excellent market fryer that is compact and with good to
outstanding weight gains. Some of my straight-bred NZW's will surprise you.

grumpy.

Those dressed weights sound good to me. A lot of folks look for LIVE weights of five pounds or so at eight weeks. Based on your dressed weights, it sounds like you are at about 7 pounds at 11 weeks.

I am not sure I would change much. Other than the oats, adding the others may just add more fat to the kits. My kits get oats regularly and I don't see a lot of fat. I also feed hay, and they grow out a bit slower, but I have had no problems with losing kits, so I am satisfied.

I am becoming more convinced that the breeding lines have a lot to do with grow out rates. I am keeping track of my two NZ litters, they are separate lines, and one is growing much faster than the other. Same feed and surroundings.

Thanks guys!

Unfortunately we don't have a scale yet. Truth is, we don't lift our rabbits. We transfer them from cage to cage by holding up a small have-a-heart trap lined with outdoor carpet to their door, enticing them in with tiny carrot pieces... LOL!

Neither Tresa nor I want to be scratched or bitten (I use my hands for my prototype work and after my first injury working last year (lost a LOT of blood; ER visit with surgery and long term memory loss and still feeling pain), I'm definitely "gun shy"... I still pet them like crazy though... I provide them cage space to back up if they're not into it and get used to it over time by offering treats by hand... I'll figure out a way to weigh the next batch. I like the cloth shopping bag with the hanging digital scale (Thanks for that Grumpy!).

Joe, Zass... I did the math and you're right about them having to have been fairly decent size to get the dressed weights we got... I did a good job of dressing them out, there was VERY little fat on them and what was there, I trimmed off so the weights were pure meat and CLEAN. Hmmm. Thanks for the reality check!

This is our very first time with rabbits, and I guess I maybe had visions of 5lb dressed out weights? (laughing at myself here...?) I kept looking at our (now huge), NZW doe thinking they should have been that big!? ;)

How we dealt with "breeds":
We chose our buck first just because we found an ad on Craigslist, I had just completed the Hutch, had just completed building three cages and we were like kids thinking about going to a toy store... The buck's owner was a well known breeder up here in Oregon and he was willing to bring him down to Grants Pass to a rabbit show nearby that he was attending for us to see him. He talked with us a lot (not a salesman, more inquisitive of our needs and very knowledgeable...Everyone at the show would stop by to say high and praise him for how he kept his rabbits and taught others to do the same.) We didn't know what we were looking for other than knowing we wanted a New Zealand and/or Ca for breeding stock. "Stubby" was a Red and was totally handleable (even in the loud, crowded convention hall). That took care of our fears of handling a rabbit! We fell in love with his color and behavior and bought him.

Later I think I remember reading that Reds do not grow out as fast?

We weren't attracted to the NZW "albino-red eye" look but realized they made great does, good size, fast grow out... so that's when we got "Caprica" (our NZW doe)... She came from a breeder with about 30 NZW rabbits and they were all large, well kept, each cage had metal tags with lots of record keping with a sister but she was a terror... Would never let us pet her, sometimes charged us in the cage... (Also, we got both of them at about 12~14 weeks and they were not handled as much as we would have liked...)

We traded the terror to a friend/rabbit breeder who was fine with her temperament for an 8 week old CA/NZW mix doe... ("Oreo")... we kept her on our dining room table for weeks, constantly petting, talking to, playing with... She acts more like a pet than livestock. We bred her with our buck this past weekend (She was just over 5 months old...) We'll see how she does.

We're planning on expanding our rabbitry next spring and getting two more does and a buck. I think we will stick with pure NZW and checking out the rabbitries they come from for all the things we looked for the first time, but this time add kit grow out history,

Grumpy: Thank you for mentioning the potential consequences of cutting back their hay! We have both researched so much on raising our rabbits, Tresa in particular has made sure their dietary needs have been complete and has always reported in on their conditions after cleaning out their pans... (She (Teaching Master Gardener), looks at their droppings as "Gold" for her garden beds! =D) I think I just had "blinders" on thinking Meat! Grow more meat! Ha! I'll keep the hay in there especially since they will now be getting a change in their diet with the BOSS mix addition.

Thank you guys!

Richard & Tresa

So I still have this Question: ?
Do you think adding the Oatmeal, BOSS and Calf Manna will help them grow a little faster over the next week or two? It's only 1-Tblsp of each per day (Trying to make sure there's no sudden change in diet.)

Thanks!

Richard & Tresa <br /><br /> __________ Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:38 am __________ <br /><br /> Thank you Marinea!

(Posted before reading your post.)

Reassuring to hear that we didn't do badly on our first run. (Just did the math again and even at 50% dress out weight, you're right. they had to have been at least 6 lbs each.)

Breeding "Lines" makes a LOT of sense! We started breeding and raising Jumbo Coturnix Quail this summer and I have been VERY focused on line-breeding for size, choosing which hens go with which roosters... Of course this has been a lot easier than rabbits because the turnover is so quick (Hatch to egg producing in 6 weeks)... We had thought of keeping one of our kits for breeding as it was (and still is), growing so fast. We just didn't have the cages or hutch ready for more breeders. (We're changing our hutch against the shop wall by adding a shed that will provide a hallway to walk through with matching racks on both sides. The shed will be insulated and I will build a small evaporative cooler to keep the whole area well cooled for summer (No more ice bottles, frozen marble tiles or misters... It gets up to about 105 here in the summer.)

Thanks also for the advise on feeding oats but not the BOSS or Manna... I will do more research on all three ("Research" is my middle name! LOL!) I'll feed only Oats today...

Thank you also for the "reality check" on the estimation of their live weights! (I sure wished I had weighed them before dispatching). I do have a very accurate beam scale for my work... maybe I can weigh them right after bleeding them out but before dressing? Do you think there is enough blood loss to make much of a difference in calculating where our starting point is?

Thank you again!

Richard & Tresa

Richard & Tresa":1p828uh8 said:
We're changing our hutch against the shop wall by adding a shed that will provide a hallway to walk through with matching racks on both sides. The shed will be insulated and I will build a small evaporative cooler to keep the whole area well cooled for summer No more ice bottles, frozen marble tiles or misters... It gets up to about 105 here in the summer.Richard & Tresa

For some reason, this surprises me not at all. :) You have been absorbed into the Collective, and I say "Welcome!"

A small feed change that causes a digestive upset can cost a weeks growth, or more. So most people suggest never changing the feeds on weanlings and growouts
The exceptions are oats and grass hay. Those can be added to a rabbit's diet at any time without causing problems.
There are also a few very safe greens that rabbits always seem to be able to take. My list currently includes: Plantain (Plantago major and Plantago lanceolata), blackberry, raspberry, strawberry, and rose leaves too.

I've had digestive issues with calf manna before, and the ingredient list never seems to warrant the higher price tag. It's mostly soy and corn.

Boss and oats work just as well for putting weight on thin adults for me, and even better for tempting appetite, without risk of digestive side effects.
As far as boss goes,
I've read that feeding fryers oil or fat will put fat directly on them. From my own experience, the best time to give boss or oily food is when a doe has a large litter and can convert the oils directly into milk. The kits will use THAT energy to grow, instead of storing it.
Well, targeting just lactating does with boss has definitely improved my growth rates for large litter, but I'd advise caution in feeding too much to a doe with a smaller litter, because it might cause her to overproduce on milk and put her at higher risk for mastitis.

Thanks Zass!

We were doing exactly that with regards to BOSS and our lactating Doe... And more! (Tresa researched and came up with a mixture she grinds up in our Cuisinart just for pregnant and lactating does (Don't remember what's in it, but she did a LOT of research) We also added balckberry leaves in summer (increases circulation to deal with heat, strawberry leaves and ecinesha (SP?) leaves for overall health... It worked perfectly.

I only gave oatmeal this morning (not instant) and I will cut out the BOSS and Manna.

Just finished taking care of them all this morning and stepping back and re-evaluating, most are pretty big... One is still smaller... a runt that almost died. We had fed special goats milk based formula with an eye dropper... I caught up with the others as far as growth to the point that it's almost hard to tell.

OK... so I will stop worrying and continue on as we have...

It's SO WONDERFUL to be able to come to this forum and get some great advice;reassurance from some GREAT people! :)

Thank you!

Richard & Tresa

Manna Pro SHO 16%, steamed-crimped oats, and unlimited Timothy hay.
We sent a batch of 13 week Giant Chinchilla kits to freezer camp. We only weighed two rabbits just to have an approximate idea of the yield. Those two rabbits, skinned, head and feet removed, with the bones still in, and including the hearts, kidneys, and livers, weighed exactly 8 Lbs total. Wife said that the bones were not very heavy and she'd estimate the deboned weight for the pair after crock-potting to probably be around 6 pounds of actual meat.

Latest posts

Back