Grow out cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReiLossefalme

Reaction score
I've got 19 baby buns in 3 nestboxes right now, and I'm trying to plan cage space for weaning. How much space is recommended for weaned meat mutts? Is there a recommended number of buns per cage, or would a large space for a bunch of them be preferable? Is it better to start them in a smaller cage and move them to a large one as they grow, or just let them grow into a larger space?

I'm looking at weaning between 5 and 6 weeks of age, but haven't decided on freezer camp age, prolly between 9 and 12 weeks though.

My largest grow out space is about 3 feet by 3 1/2 feet and by the time they reach butcher weight I have 8 to 10 in there. I just take the biggest out as I need space. I also keep growers in my regular cages, no more than three.

So like 1 to 1 1/2 sq ft per bunny? I was looking at the ARBA Care Recommendations, and was a bit confused because they don't define a "weaned" bunny. So a litter of weaned 4 week old have to have 1 1/2 ft each, but if mom's still in there with them at 12 weeks they only have to have 6 sq ft total? Or are they considered weaned at a certain age, whether they've had mom removed or not?

I wish I could help but mine don't hang around long enough for this to be something I put any thought into

Lol, I over-analyze thing frequently, but since I'm looking at putting up some new cages anyways, I might as well do it right.

Latest posts

Back