Grow out cage to max 12 week kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliehooks

Reaction score
Wondering on recommended cage size for kits I know there's a code for breeding stock but I can't seem to wrap my head around having huge cages for rabbits that are going to be gone to process in such a short amount of time. Just running thoughts on cage size and roughly how many kits would comfortably (farm comfortable not pet) fit in the cage

24X30 cages works great for my silver fox grow outs. 8 kits per cage is plenty room till processing time. At 11 weeks it’s pretty crowded so I’d definitely make sure I can process on time.

The 1/2"-1-1/2" 14 ga galvanized wire I bought is 30" wide so are my pens. I made them 8' long with 3 does averaging 8 kits is 24. 12 kits per 30"x 8' long pen is plenty. We will have 4 does working this year so planning on 32 kits per birthing cycle. Last year we had 5 breeding cycles. So I will need 3 grow out pens. In my opinion. By the time they are 12 weeks the pecking order is constantly being challenged, and some kits are aggressive around food. Some are starting to feel a bit twitterpated. It's not unusual to find bite marks scratches n bruises when processing that happened in their pen. The runts get picked on.
The biggest issue is or was feeding troughs that they didn't poo in or waste a lot. My experience taught me that using 4" abs black plastic pipe works best. They don't clog as much. I try to adjust it so they have to reach somewhat, this keeps them from sitting on it as much. And a narrow 2" slot to get the pellets from in the pen end. The pen end has to have an angle to it so the pellets flow. If the joints are not glued and rain water can hit it , it will leak. I like to be able to take mine apart so it is under cover.
Also important to remember. Or breeding program has our does being breed and having kits before the grow outs are harvested. This essentially doubles the rabbit population in itself. So will have upward of 65-70 rabbits at one time. That takes time so efficiency is important. And like any farm animal the more room they have the better they can do. But within reason. On the pen shown both ends of the roof are hinged.
Hey this is just where I ended up so far and still trying to get better. Good luck n have fun

Attachments

• 20210608_093220.jpg
    20210608_093220.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210608_093212.jpg
    20210608_093212.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 19
The 1/2"-1-1/2" 14 ga galvanized wire I bought is 30" wide so are my pens. I made them 8' long with 3 does averaging 8 kits is 24. 12 kits per 30"x 8' long pen is plenty. We will have 4 does working this year so planning on 32 kits per birthing cycle. Last year we had 5 breeding cycles. So I will need 3 grow out pens. In my opinion. By the time they are 12 weeks the pecking order is constantly being challenged, and some kits are aggressive around food. Some are starting to feel a bit twitterpated. It's not unusual to find bite marks scratches n bruises when processing that happened in their pen. The runts get picked on.
The biggest issue is or was feeding troughs that they didn't poo in or waste a lot. My experience taught me that using 4" abs black plastic pipe works best. They don't clog as much. I try to adjust it so they have to reach somewhat, this keeps them from sitting on it as much. And a narrow 2" slot to get the pellets from in the pen end. The pen end has to have an angle to it so the pellets flow. If the joints are not glued and rain water can hit it , it will leak. I like to be able to take mine apart so it is under cover.
Also important to remember. Or breeding program has our does being breed and having kits before the grow outs are harvested. This essentially doubles the rabbit population in itself. So will have upward of 65-70 rabbits at one time. That takes time so efficiency is important. And like any farm animal the more room they have the better they can do. But within reason. On the pen shown both ends of the roof are hinged.
Hey this is just where I ended up so far and still trying to get better. Good luck n have fun
That looks very crowded

Yes it does. They are all on one end and I had not gotten another pen built yet. I think I moved them that day to seperate them.
The point of my post. And the fact that they grow fast. Folks need to be ready

How old are the rabbits in this picture?

I have gotten a bunch of large wire dog crates for free off craigslist. They are nice for outside time on pasture, and they fold flat when not in use. My grow outs ramp up wildly in the summer, and then almost stop in the winter, so expandable "tractors" give me extra space. I'm planning on building an even bigger version soon.

Back