Grazing Pen versus Stationary Hutches

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingrabbit

Reaction score
I experimented a little with a portable grazing pen I recently made out of recycled materials. It seemed like such a cool idea conceptually, but my results were mixed. I came to the temporary conclusion that it doesn't really do much for me right now to have the grow outs in a grazer, although it may still prove to be a nice option to have handy some day.

What I found (which probably should have been obvious from the beginning) is that when you are already operating a cut-and-carry forage-based style rabbitry, adding grazing pens to the mix isn't particularly convenient. I still have to cut some things for the rabbits in the grazer anyway (high protein greens, etc), and having them located in a different place from the breeding hutches makes servicing more bothersome--it feels like having two rabbitries to service instead of one. The rabbits are well accustomed already to eating cut fodder of all sorts, but they didn't actually seem to eat that much grass while they were in the pen. Maybe I didn't give it enough time though. A lot of people I talked to seemed to have this notion that the rabbits would be happier or have a more natural life being able to be on the ground. But I could not see any sign of this by observing the animals themselves, so for me this gets dangerously close to the area of projecting thoughts or notions into the rabbits heads and making assumptions about things that the rabbits themselves may not actually care about. I'm more concerned with what's good for the rabbits (based on tangible signs of well-being) and convenient or us, not with doing what's fashionable or what people, many of whom don't keep rabbits, THINK a rabbit wants! It also thought it seemed a lot hotter in the grazing pen than in the hutches, because there was no way for air to circulate underneath. Rabbits in Hawaii don't need extra warmth! Also, I don't really have a lot of "good pasture" to exploit with this tool. It's more like lawn at this point, with the occasional overgrown corner here and there. They don't actually get any more space in the grazer either, because due to concerns about making it too heavy to move, it's actually slightly smaller than the hutch they are in right now. There's also the still small but very real risk of worms and other parasites from being directly on the ground to factor in.

And the kicker came when I tried to move the pen eight feet down, and the rabbits started bouncing off the walls, thumping in terror, and otherwise virtually having heart attacks--and I was afraid I was going to crush a leg or something under the edges of the pen. Not something I want to do twice a day. Even if they got used to it after a while, I'd have to go through it again every time I put a new litter in there. When I brought the test rabbits back to their siblings in the growout hutch they looked really happy and relieved to be home.

I'm not trying to discredit the idea of grazing pens itself. I think that if you were feeding free choice pellets and had good pasture readily available it might be very handy. You wouldn't have to do much except put the rabbits in, keep the feeder and waterer topped up, move the thing once or twice a day, and watch the feed bill go way down. Like they do at Polyface Farms for example. But if you're cut-and-carry feeding, as I am, and already have to service the breeding hutches anyway, it provides no economical benefit and isn't really more convenient--unless, possibly, you had some really amazing pasture to exploit right next to the hutches (in which case though it might still be nearly as easy to cut the pasture with a sickle and bring it to the hutches).

In short, its just a perfect example of what happens so often in farming and gardening, of how what seems like the "holy grail" for one situation may not be all that great an advantage in another. It reminds me how we should think about what makes the most sense for each person's unique situation and goals, not just leap for what's fashionable or looks sexy.

I scoot the pen over one side and then the other, to the new grass right next to it. There's little dragging around and they get used to being moved. When food is always available, they will be picky and you need to leave the pen in the same spot until they get over it and eat it. Mine are picky and wont eat the blueish color grass that's soft and wispy, the pen has to stay on it longer for then to eat it down.
Being on the ground can help keep them cooler.
You should be only scooting the pen over a bit as needed and turn it around on one side and do strips up and down your lawn.

But if you already collect greens, adding tractors is just adding more work. Use them for only growers and it'll be easier.

I came to similiar conclusions :) The thing that put the lid on my grazing attempts was that the bucks started fighting each other since they were in a new pen. They lived happily in peace once they got back to their regular pen.. and I wasn't prepared to let them stay in the grazer overnight so it didn't feel like a good idea.

I've made the grazer into a cage for my spare buck instead :)

While I raise on groundlevel that's just because it works well for me. There's no grass or anything in the pens anyhow and they're stationary.

Each to his own.

Mine works great. I just move it, like ChikiesnBunnies, about one tractor width at a time, except over a patch of yard that is completely grass. Some spots might have more clover than others, or more dandelions, or whatever, but they end up eating the same amount, because they eventually move to the protein-rich spot. Also, I sometimes cut the rich spot by putting the tractor half on it, half off.

One rabbit takes about 5 days to eat down everything. I have an 6ft by 8ft tractor, if I remember the measurements correctly.

I think that the tractors work best for single bucks, single does, or growouts. I plan to use mine as a growout pen.

WildWolf":1ltd2uth said:
I think that the tractors work best for single bucks, single does, or growouts. I plan to use mine as a growout pen.
:yeahthat:

My two NZW bucks are in tractors. They have roughly 9 to 10 sq.ft. of space. I use 1" slats 2" apart and haven't had any issues with caught feet. Sometimes I have to leave them in the space spot for 2 to 3 days to get them to eat down the grass, depending on what they're over. Other times, it's gone in a few hours.

I have a larger tractor that is currently housing mini lops. They're going to be evicted soon and I'm going to use it for a finishing pen for my Cornish X. It's 8'x5', weighs at least 225 pounds and isn't as mobile as we'd hoped it would be. But, it's virtually predator proof, so I won't be dismantling it. I can't move it often enough to make the MLs happy, and I used 2"x4" field fencing on the bottom so it crushes the grass. I think 18 meat birds will be much happier spending their last week or three in it than the MLs are.

A significant factor for me is the manure also. I consider the manure nearly as important a product as the meat. We grow a lot of greens for our CSA, and our main input, besides a lot of irrigation water and human labor, is manure. We buy it by the fifty pound bag, and it's not cheap, so anything we can do supplement that is great. I till in our own chicken litter and duck litter and the rabbit litter is also an important addition.

Even if the grazing pen worked great and was convenient for me, I would still be "losing" all the urine and making the manure difficult or impossible to collect (it's not lost if you WANT to fertilize the grass, but in my case my garden needs it more than the yard). With the hutches, it's all in one place, I have woodchips to catch much of the pee too, and it's all right there to scoop up and throw on the field when I need it.

What about the possibility of making one side of the tractor solid?

Instead of worrying about getting a leg caught in the wire,
"slowly" roll the tractor onto its solid side and move it that way.
If done properly, I don't believe the rabbits would become overly excited.

Just a thought...possibly put some runners on the solid side
making moving it easier. I've never tried an outside tractor
so everything I'm suggesting is pure supposition.

grumpy.

I have toyed with the idea of placing 'raised floors' over areas of the yard, purposely planting what rabbit food I want under them, then just letting the green stuff grow through the wire. Bottomless dog crate on the wire, and you have grazing , not quite on the ground (clean for rabbits, healthy for the soil and plants, etc) It would require a certain amount of planning and understanding of intensive grazing practices, but if one has the room,.....

Hmm, interesting ideas...

__________ Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:51 pm __________

An update on the grazing pen:

I recently had a large area of tallish grass and weeds where I'd been growing some pumpkin vines that were now done producing. I have seven young fryers nearing 3 months and I put them in the grazing pen. I usually have to move it twice a day. I still feed them a little bit of garden greens, legume forage, and ti leaves, but I don't need to cut nearly as much of these things as I did before, obviously--which is kind of a nice break. They still get oats and sunflower seeds in the mornings, and roots and such in the evenings.

The rabbits got used to the moving of the pen surprisingly quickly, and after the first few times they didn't freak out anymore. I can now move it sideways, or drag it endways, or however I need to, and they don't mind much either way.

Since it's just for finishing fryers, I've decided not to worry about worms and stuff.

Overall I'd say it's one of those six-of-one-half-a-dozen-of-another things in terms of whether it's more convenient or efficient for us--but it's definitely kind of fun.

Latest posts

Back