Grass seed mix

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great topic and something I too have been wondering about. Here in California we only have green pasture about half the year, the rest of the summer I have to resort to the putting the rabbits on the lawn, where they eat mostly St. Augustine grass. What grasses do you all recommend for free grazing?

SyP":lqw6rj9l said:
This is a great topic and something I too have been wondering about. Here in California we only have green pasture about half the year, the rest of the summer I have to resort to the putting the rabbits on the lawn, where they eat mostly St. Augustine grass. What grasses do you all recommend for free grazing?

Seed your lawn with White Clover...great for rabbits!

I was hoping - eventually - to provide enough variety to give vitamins, minerals etc and be able to stop giving pellets (I'm thinking root veg for calories/bulk). So, grass as a basis, legumes inc clover for protein, grassland herbs for...herby stuff! Chicory is fantatic for growing lambs, I might try and find room for that somewhere.
It also has to survive British "summer", look close enough to an ornamental lawn for nosey landlords, and it would be nice if the same batch of seeds could do the south facing lawn AND the north facing scrappy land. And I'd probably chuck some in the fodder growing system too, for winter.
Hmmm...

Edit - I also didn't know about endophytes until the other post on this board - how big an issue is this? IT's not something I've come across relating to any normal livestock (but it was mentioned in context of horses which I know can be more delicate).

UK-backyardbunnies":2syxs1fd said:
I was hoping - eventually - to provide enough variety to give vitamins, minerals etc and be able to stop giving pellets (I'm thinking root veg for calories/bulk). So, grass as a basis, legumes inc clover for protein, grassland herbs for...herby stuff! Chicory is fantatic for growing lambs, I might try and find room for that somewhere.
It also has to survive British "summer", look close enough to an ornamental lawn for nosey landlords, and it would be nice if the same batch of seeds could do the south facing lawn AND the north facing scrappy land. And I'd probably chuck some in the fodder growing system too, for winter.
Hmmm...

Edit - I also didn't know about endophytes until the other post on this board - how big an issue is this? IT's not something I've come across relating to any normal livestock (but it was mentioned in context of horses which I know can be more delicate).

I think the ryegrass is the part of those mixes to be concerned about for endophytes (and rabbits are as delicate as horses if not more so) but I think there are work arounds for that...or try to get a mix that does not include ryegrass.

I am also looking to create a "lawn" that is actually a nice mix of forage while still looking "lawn-ish" (not to please a landlord but to please the uppity neighbors). Clovers are big on my list. I have a huge invasion of Florida Betony which my buns don't seem to care for so I need to get some stuff out there to compete with the Betony.

The endophytes are in rye grasses and fescues-- they are PURPOSELY applied to some seeds-- the fungus actually help the grasses resist insect damage by releasing a neurotoxin that kills insects, and interferes with grazing animals--

I found this article to be informative and easily understood-- especially from a management point of view:

http://www.owning-alpaca.com/alpaca-far ... grass.html

One of the Ag websites associated with a State Land Grant college, indicated the longer the rye and tall fescue seeds are stored, the more likely the seeds will not support the endophytes-- giving a farmer 'clean' grass. The endophytes are purposely introduced to turf grass seeds to help the grasses survive insect damage--after all, people want pretty lawns!!!

Latest posts

Back