GRAPHIC PHOTOS: Annie asked me to post there here for help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I don't have consistent internet access at the moment. No more dead or sick seeming rabbits so far, if it is what you guys are thinking it will start killing rabbits soon. Its crazy how much was wrong with that rabbit, she was fine a few days before that as far as I could tell, a little bit off for a couple days and then wham, dead. I do wish it was possible to get that vaccine soon. Its awful just waiting but there is nothing to be done. I have a few purebred Champagnes, a couple baby champagnes, a Palomino and some mutts, I am watching them all like a hawk.

The State Veterinarian for animal disease control is going to call me this afternoon. I'll post an update about their advice on the situation.

They think it could be RHD or Toxoplasmosis.

Crossing my fingers for Toxoplasmosis!

I hope the rest of your herd will be okay, Annie.

The Toxo intrigues me. We have so many barncats, and of course "the world is their litterbox", and I know the feces have to be a couple of days old before becoming infective... :hmm: ...I have seen slightly reticulated livers in some of my rabbits, so that may be the cause.

Please keep us posted and know that we are all hoping and praying for a good outcome for your rabbits.

Dayna, how are the foster kits doing?

Yeah the toxoplasmosis theory makes sense, I have three cats that live outside and sometimes hunt rodents, and sometimes feral cats hang out too. And I gather plants from my rabbits from the ground. I'm not going to stop doing that, but I will try to be more aware, harvest stuff that is growing higher up, maybe cut plants with scissors and not pull up the roots. It worries me because I am trying to get pregnant and have a young daughter who plays outside. I was reading up about it and up to 20 percent of Americans have it, usually it causes no problems but in some cases can cause neurological and mental problems. It is actually better to have been exposed to it before pregnancy rather than during, and if you are pregnant and have it you can take an antibiotic so the baby will not get it. And you can't actually catch it from rabbits, only cats are the host and can pass on the parasite.<br /><br />__________ Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm __________<br /><br />Last I heard the foster kits are doing good but I haven't actually seen them since I brought them over. It was really sad, the mom was trying really hard to take care of her nine babies but she was getting sick and they weren't getting much milk. But the adoptive moms were doing great last I saw them.

annie":1ksc0phg said:
It worries me because I am trying to get pregnant and have a young daughter who plays outside.

My understanding is that it is dangerous to babies in utero, but seldom causes significant disease in otherwise healthy people. You have likely already been exposed yourself- which is good!- but to ease your mind you can get tested for the antibodies to it.

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding ... s/tab/test

Yeah the babies are doing fabulous! They now have three mommas they have charmed. lol I put my pregnant doe Hazel in one of the runs and the babies snuggle her too.

Why are all my does so great with the babies? I love it. :)

Yeah I was just reading that it is better if you have been exposed to toxoplasmosis and then get pregnant, then being exposed while pregnant. And if you have not been exposed at all, you have to worry about it more while pregnant.
Awww so cute, those are some lucky babies!

Latest posts

Back