Grand Champion/ Register

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Rabbitry

gracefulrabbits
Reaction score
Hello, so this is the first time I have won something significant in showing my rabbits and I’m a little confused. I was looking back at my show reports, and noticed this. Does it mean he is a now a grand champion and I can register him. Is there a difference, and do I need to get him another tattoo to show his registry. Thank you!
IMG_1280.png

Congratulations!!! Best in Show is a pretty incredible way to start winning. 😁

That's one leg of Grand Champion. When a rabbit earns three of those, under at least two different judges and with at least one of the legs won as an intermediate or senior, it qualifies to be recognized as a Grand Champion. But any qualifying rabbit can be registered in the ARBA studbook; rabbits do not need to have won anything at all to be registered.

To receive certification of his Grand Championship, two other requirements must be fulfilled. First, he must be registered with the ARBA, and second, you must submit the legs to the ARBA, filled in with his registration number and birthdate, plus a small fee ($6).

To be registered, he must be at least 6 months old, have a complete three-generation pedigree, and have attained minimum senior weight. Once he's old enough, you need to take a current ARBA membership card, a $6 fee, the rabbit, and his full pedigree (don't forget to make sure every rabbit on the pedigree has a variety and a weight listed!) to a licensed registrar. ARBA rules stipulate that there must always be a registrar at every sanctioned show, or you can find a list of registrars on the ARBA website and arrange to meet one of them. The registrar will weigh your rabbit and check him over for any DQs, and if it passes (a BIS rabbit usually will!), the registrar will enter his pedigree on the registration form or staple a printed copy to it, and tattoo a unique registration number in the rabbit's right ear. He'll give you the third carbon copy of the registration blank.

The paperwork will take a few weeks to make its way back to you, but in the meantime, you can send in your request for a GC certificate by sending the legs, filled in with the rabbit's birthdate and registration number, to the ARBA along with a $4 fee. You can see these details on the bottom left of the GC leg above. The GC certificate will enter your rabbit's accomplishment and GC number into the ARBA studbook.

If you want to, since your rabbit got a BIS you can also apply for a Best in Show certificate - instructions for that are on the bottom right of the GC leg. (That is essentially a vanity award; there's no official number associated with a BIS certificate.)

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! Best in Show is a pretty incredible way to start winning. 😁

That's one leg of Grand Champion. When a rabbit earns three of those, under at least two different judges and with at least one of the legs won as an intermediate or senior, it qualifies to be recognized as a Grand Champion. But any qualifying rabbit can be registered in the ARBA studbook; rabbits do not need to have won anything at all to be registered.

To receive certification of his Grand Championship, two other requirements must be fulfilled. First, he must be registered with the ARBA, and second, you must submit the legs to the ARBA, filled in with his registration number and birthdate, plus a small fee.

To be registered, he must be at least 6 months old, have a complete three-generation pedigree, and have attained minimum senior weight. Once he's old enough, you need to take a current ARBA membership card, a $6 fee, the rabbit, and his full pedigree (don't forget to make sure every rabbit on the pedigree has a variety and a weight listed!) to a licensed registrar. ARBA rules stipulate that there must always be a registrar at every sanctioned show, or you can find a list of registrars on the ARBA website and arrange to meet one of them. The registrar will weigh your rabbit and check him over for any DQs, and if it passes (a BIS rabbit usually will!), the registrar will enter his pedigree on the registration form or staple a printed copy to it, and tattoo a unique registration number in the rabbit's right ear. He'll give you the third carbon copy of the registration blank.

The paperwork will take a few weeks to make its way back to you, but in the meantime, you can send in your request for a GC certificate by sending the legs, filled in with the rabbit's birthdate and registration number, to the ARBA with along a $4 fee. You can see these details on the bottom left of the GC leg above. The GC certificate will enter your rabbit's accomplishment and GC number into the ARBA studbook.

If you want to, since your rabbit got a BIS you can also apply for a Best in Show certificate - instructions for that are on the bottom right of the GC leg. (That is essentially a vanity award; there's no official number associated with a BIS certificate.)
Thank you so much for explaining this all to me. I was so pretty surprised when I got BIS. That was only my second show! He won BIS for the rare breed specialty show.
Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back