Got my cages and rack built !

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumma

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I got my cages from Grandview Rabbitry earlier this week. I was so exited when they showed up. I spent the rest of the day putting them together. It took a little longer than I thought it would and there was also a bit of a learning curve using the j clips.

I went out today and built the rack for them. I found out the importance of measuring twice and cutting once. I ended up having to go back out to pick up more 2x4's because I cut a bunch of them too short. But it's together now. I'm going to continue to tweak it as I go. This forum has been incredibly helpful in the planing and design of my cages.

I plan to add a gravity fed watering system. I have all the bits and tubing but I have to plan out how I want to do it now. I will also be coming up with some sort of a cover or enclosure to protect them from the wind and elements.

I've placed my order for the rabbits from my local feed store(The only place I've found that sells them). I'll be getting 1 NZW Buck, 1 NZW Doe and 1 Californian Doe. I figured that was a good start. I can try a few different breeding combos that way.

Here's some pics. I was so excited I had to post them.

IMG_0398.jpg
This is the pieces taking up my entire kitchen.

IMG_0399.jpg
My cat(Lola) testing out the first cage :)(She didn't like it much)

IMG_0400.jpg
All three cages built

IMG_0401.jpg
Rack setup and cages mounted.

Awesome setup! What are you doing to keep the poo from falling on the other rabbits? Can I ask what you paid for the 3 cages delivered? Im in Ontario and was thinking of the hour or so drive to ge there myself

I'm going to go with slanted poop chutes. I priced the corrugated plastic today and it was 22$/sheet(I'd need 3) so that will have to wait until another pay check. I was thinking of using some tarps or heavy duty plastic drop cloth instead. Any ideas or input on that would be appreciated.

They take up more room on the deck than I thought they would with the frame and everything. They are 6' wide(2 holes, so 36" each) by 24" deep by 15" high. Those dimensions sound small until you see them. They're huge.

I got the 3 cages, 6 feeders, 2lbs of j clips, j clip pliers, 6 water nipples, a handful of t-connectors and end caps for the watering system, and 30' of tubing for $313 tax-in, shipped. I couldn't have come close to that locally. Shipping was 65$ and considering the size and weight I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Great setup, looks like you are all set....just need some buns! (rabbits, that is...lol!)

drumma":1m40dv7e said:
I'm going to go with slanted poop chutes. I priced the corrugated plastic today and it was 22$/sheet(I'd need 3) so that will have to wait until another pay check. I was thinking of using some tarps or heavy duty plastic drop cloth instead. Any ideas or input on that would be appreciated.
Do yourself a huge favor and go with the corrugated plastic...It isn't a bargian if you have to replace it after rabbits have been peeing on it for a few months.

In the mean time, since you are waiting on a paycheck anyway, look around building material salvage yards, you may find something that will do--like the rigid plastic sheets you use for dropped-ceiling flourescent lighting, or old laminate counter tops, or vinyl flooring remnants--just remember, if it is going to be a hassle it IS NOT worth it!

Very nice job. Congartulations. Where can I get one of those long tailed short eared rabbits? :D

How did you attach the cages to the frame? Are they removable? What are your dimensions? Thank you.

Has anyone found a good NONE corrugated plastic that could be used to make it easier to squeegy the clingers?

Your cages look great! Nothing more satisfying than a big stack of newly assembled cages.

Actually, my husband has a scrap of fiberglass paneling of the sort used in bathrooms that I think would be perfect if you supported it with plywood. And in the chicken coop I used vinyl flooring scraps...But chickens don't pee, so I am not sure I like vinyl for rabbits as much.

i can see doing heavy duty tarp...particularly if you can attach it in such a way that it came up 8 inches up the back to catch over spray from the rabbits. THEN a couple or four times a year take them off and give them a really good spray down. Keep everything really clean and nice.

Should I build racks again I'll be going with puck board. Cleans well, sanitizes well, and doesn't hold any build up. More expensive short run, cheaper long term. :)

how ever you build the poop trays make sure you take into account that rabbits pee on an angle and sometimes bucks spray. Whatever reduces the amount of residual pee is a good thing.

but do give serious thought to what you can scavenge...even using old billboards made from coroplast, heavy duty plastic sheets work well too and are easily scrubbed (I have them over my coroplast to catch that ever important overspray problem). I clean them well once or twice a year and replace once a year just to keep things fresher.

thinking about this some...even if you used plywood and overlaid it with heavy plastic sheeting...that would work just fine. Staple the sheets up along the sides and then under the plywood to prevent holes in the sheeting...or go with a double layer of plastic...that would work wonderfully I think. put some gutters in the front to catch the drippings (pee) and it will work just fine. :)

QUERY>> how tall did you make those racks that you can fit three rows on them?

PulpFaction":8fm0mhr7 said:
Has anyone found a good NONE corrugated plastic that could be used to make it easier to squeegy the clingers?

There is an item called "Coroplast" which is also known as corrugated plastic, but the corrugations are between two flat sheets just like corrugated cardboard is not big sheets of curved cardboard. You can see it here:

http://www.coroplast.com/

This can often be found in used signs or posterboard and is excellent as a stiff, flat surface for slanted dropping boards.

On another note, looking at the racks, there is barely a few inches between each level of cages. Tarps tend to droop a bit, as do shower curtains. I'd be hard pressed to figure out how to get a soft material in between those cages and NOT allow it to rest on the lower cage where rabbits WILL pull it through the cage and chew it up. I think a solid board/sheet is going to be required and it looks to me like it will be very tricky to get a squeegee/broom in between there to push down the poop. You may need to design something that can slide in and out like a tray just so you can get a broom in there to clean it off.

Hmmmm, It would appear that I missed some replies to my thread. Sorry guys.

The dimensions of the cages are 36x30x15(each side)

I've looked into coroplast I can get it here from Home Depot for 20$ a sheet. I was hoping to do something cheaper but after looking at all of my options I think in the long run i'll be happier with it. I took a tarp out today and tried to rig it up and decided it wasn't going to work well. My next project is trying to figure out how I want to weather proof it. It will be outside on my deck. I'm open to suggestions on that.

The rack is 6' tall. I'm 6'4" myself so I can get away with building things taller. I have to make the gaps between the rows smaller than I hoped. There is 5" between cages and the lowest cage is a little lower than i wanted but I'm going to work with it because I have to. I wanted to keep it confined to one rack unit and keep the smallest footprint possible. I live in the city and have a small yard and limited space. I can move it down off the deck and onto the lawn(but i'd rather keep them closer to the house).

The cages are removable. I used 3" L brackets attached to the posts and the cages just kinda slide onto them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to keep experimenting.

Latest posts

Back