Got a new doe! ...Question?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Back from the rabbit show, and yes, I managed to come home with only ONE rabbit!

Now, I know quarantine protocol, but here's my situation, which ILoveBunnies just reminded me of:

First of all, I can segregate this doe. I can keep her in the carport, or under cover on the patio.

BUT

The last several weeks, a large raccoon has been walking through the yard, and sometimes even through the carport and beside the patio -- even during the daytime. It's been long enough that if it was rabid, it would be dead.

Which is more important, securing the doe from the coon, or securing my rabbits from the newcomer? I don't know that I can protect the doe from the coon without putting her in the rabbitry, where her cage would be about a foot away from Squeak's cage.

Will post pics in a bit; right now off to put the floor in her cage... :p

Can you make another pen to put her cage into? Half by half wire or at least 6in larger on each wall so the new doe's cage is hung with a 6in buffer?
Obviously, center the doors.
cn.jpg

What about putting a small lock on the door? Like those light weight locks for suitcases and luggages.

I wouldn't skip quarantine. I'd rather loose one doe to a raccoon and my entire herd.

Depending on the size of the cage wire, the raccoon will reach in and attack the rabbit. CnB has the right idea... contain the cage with enough space between it and the barrier so the raccoon can't reach. We had our rabbits in cages on skids on the lawn for a few weeks when we first got them, years ago. We used panels of lattice and heavy canvas tarps and various other makeshift bits and pieces and blocked them in every night, tying the barriers together. It was awkward, but we didn't lose any rabbits and the raccoons were bad that year.

Perhaps you could hang the cage up in the car port and protect the bottom so the raccoon can't chew on its feet. And give it a box, even a cardboard carton, to hide in if a predator comes by.

Thank you all for your replies! :)

I just finished putting on the floor, the floor support, and the babysaver wire (I didn't want to have to do it later). As much as I would love to build that awesome protection cage that ChickiesnBunnies drew up, I'm running out of daylight.

I do have a good bit of wire, lattice, and tarp. I'll rig up something, probably just opening the wire and tying it together around her cage.

I don't suppose Cait's tarp idea would be enough? That would sure get me off easy. :lol:

Okay, so let me go weigh her and take pictures! :razz:

Since we were away for most of the weekend, I'm a bit late seeing this post.

If you haven't found a good solution yet, maybe you could just put her in a cat or dog carrier and bring her in at night and take her back out during the day?

MamaSheepdog":3fhek124 said:
Since we were away for most of the weekend, I'm a bit late seeing this post.

If you haven't found a good solution yet, maybe you could just put her in a cat or dog carrier and bring her in at night and take her back out during the day?
We did find a solution... we put her in the inside corner of the patio next to the house (the patio is surrounded by the house on 3 sides) and raised her up on sawhorses, figuring it was unlikely that the coon would come right up to the house to go to that kind of trouble. She's actually higher than our other rabbits were when we moved here. So far, so good.

It's the setup you saw here: meet-the-new-24-carrot-bunny-pic-heavy-t7005.html

lostcreekrabbits":3fhek124 said:
Trap the raccoons (if you see one there's most likely atleast 2-3) out

I have a trap on order. I was hoping not to have to go to that expense when we're trying to quickly scrape money together to move, but we'll need a trap wherever we go anyway. I do know that there are more coons, but this is the only one that goes about like he owns the place during the day.

To help pay for any expenses, you can always sell the coon hides to a fur buyer, and there are plenty of them in the south. Southern fur market for coon furs typically are between $12.50 and $22.50 per coon fur depending on size..never hurts to get a few extra bucks for free per say. But if you do, make sure you freeze the hide immediately after removing it. There are also many places that accept frozen hides sent to them in the mail

drowe005":3r1oz6gf said:
To help pay for any expenses, you can always sell the coon hides to a fur buyer, and there are plenty of them in the south. Southern fur market for coon furs typically are between $12.50 and $22.50 per coon fur depending on size..never hurts to get a few extra bucks for free per say. But if you do, make sure you freeze the hide immediately after removing it. There are also many places that accept frozen hides sent to them in the mail
Now that is awesome! I will have to keep this in mind! Thanks!!! :p

Latest posts

Back