Got 4 more...Plus 6...makes enough...for now

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
My little NZ...Little Momma...who had a false pregnancy back in April...finally had her babies...4 of the little guys...

Night before last, I came home to find her frantically building her nest...well actually scratching at the bottom...cage wire...and removing everything out of the box as fast as I could give it to her...I finally put a piece of cardboard in there...out it went in 2 seconds...I just left her aloan with plenty of grass hay...straw...and that piece of cardboard...came home last night...she had finally pulled a bunch of fur...to go with the leftover fur I had given her...then I noitice that the fur was moving...found 4 little blobs in the bottom...was not sure exactly how many until just a bit ago...I removed the box to take a good count...everyone looks fabulous

I had originally wanted to produce a dozen fryers as my first attempt at raising some food for the table...and as it is summer time and going to be really hot here in Ohio for the next few months..will be stopping breeding until fall...I end up with a total of 10...Big Momma had 6 nice kits back in April...they are a little over 6 weeks old now and in their own cages..

I plan on sending the first six to freezer camp in time for the new little devils to have cage space of their own...Come next fall...start breeding agin...this time with a little better idea of what I am doing...I could never have done this without the help from everyone on this site...so...thanks a bunch...you are all terrific :mrgreen:

glad things are working out so far :) congrats on the popples - always exciting

<applause> :clap: Glad you are having some success now :) Make sure to ask for help with the processing, if you need it. Plenty of people here willing to give you the benefit of their years of experience! (or months, depending.... ;) )

Oh, I will get to the processing part soon...have 6 from Big Momma that are 6 weeks old now...I am figuring around 12 weeks...they go to freezer camp...looking at em makes me hungry....gotta find a way to cook those ears though :lol: :lol:

Congrats on the success! :up: It's surely rewarding, isn't it!

Yea, this is certainly entertaining....now I have a critter trying to get my bunnies at night...live traps go out when I get home...bet it is a coon...

Dang Raccoons! Hubby has shot two in the last month and there is still one more that is eating our cats food and fighting with one of the cats...Thank God they all had their rabies shots...

JT, remember that raccoons can and will reach into the cages and grab whatever part of a rabbit they can reach. They will pull it to the wire and start munching, eating as much as they can of the rabbit alive. Enclosing the cages with chain link so that the raccoons cannot reach in will keep them safe. I always find June and July the worst times for raccoons. They can't get our rabbits, but it doesn't stop them from trying.

Yea Maggie, I have a long night ahead of me tonight...first, set out the live traps...then I have some fencing to put up around my cages...I have already put a trail camera out there this morning before I left for work to hopefully get a picture of the little devil...hope he has not returned before I get home...My landlord a little ways over the woods lost some chickens last week...we do have issues out here in the woods as we are...<br /><br />__________ Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:32 pm __________<br /><br />From what I understand...coons can and will climb fencing...your thoughts on that please...

JT_Hunter":24dpqwhr said:
How did you get the coons to get rabis shots

No, silly wabbit! :p The CATS all got their rabies shots! :lol: The only injections that raccoons get around here is a LEAD injection!

Yes, raccoons will certainly climb fencing. We made a chain link structure with chain link over the top as well. We laid wire mesh on the ground around the perimeter and "sewed" the whole thing together with wire. It has been raccoon proof for quite a few years now. They may climb on the outside, but they can't get in and their reach is not long enough to get their paws into the cages. We have also found that a solar light makes them more cautious and we have fewer hanging around when we place one outside the rabbitry. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of curses.

Hot wire is another way to go.

All my little ones were OK when I got home....

I can not use live wire out here...I am in a campgrounds...and the potential fro small children is too great..

I have put out 2 live traps...that holds em still while I give em their rabies "Shot"....

No hot wire, then. I suggest you watch for a deal on second-hand chain link. It's a good investment. :) Doesn't matter how many you trap and shoot... there will always be more and they will just move into the vacated territories of the ones you kill. Exclusion is, in my opinion, the best way of dealing with predators of all kinds.

Back