Good time of year for breeding....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopsofun

Reaction score
Is there a time of year that is better for breeding rabbits? I've heard daylength can affect this.

There was a thread here recently talking about the affects of light. Some say it's needed, some say not. Some breed all year round, some only in early spring to end of summer. Some bucks go sterile in the summer, and some kits are lost in the winter due to cold.

I would think the optimal time to breed would be early spring. Nicer days, coming into longer sun filled days, and no worry about heat or cold. Just watch the draft.

Karen

lopsofun":ckav9vls said:
It doesn't get very cold where I live, and my rabbits are in the garage.

Then go for it. I could breed all year round if I wanted to because my rabbits are inside. And some use artificial lighting to help with any daylight issues that maybe some does have. All rabbits are individuals. I would think your best bet is to know your dues. And what they need to be successful Moms.

Karen

I had zero problems breeding this summer in Georgia, but when fall came around? The only doe to take was the Convention doe and my meat mutt! My bucks were fully functioning.

I really wanted my does to take just before winter, but oh well. I have 6 does bred for the winter because of all the misses so hopefully we will have some takes. I think it depends and varies on your stock. Some breed better than others. Some can breed back to back and some need some down time. I'm also testing to see if the feed I'm giving might be a problem.

I think my success recently has been raspberry tea packets in their water to get them to lift.

If I could breed all year round I would, there cannot be too much rabbit in my freezer and I'd be better at picking juniors for the local shows.

Back